Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Two men sentenced for $6.9 million pokie fraud

Two men sentenced for $6.9 million pokie fraud

By Sophie Boot

July 13 (BusinessDesk) - Two men have been sentenced after being found guilty in a multi-million dollar gaming machine fraud case, after manipulating gambling licences and grants.

The Wellington High Court sentenced Michael Joseph O'Brien, of Blenheim, to four years and six months imprisonment after he was found guilty of five charges of obtaining by deception. Kevin Coffey of Hastings, who has been found guilty of one charge of obtaining by deception, was sentenced to home detention for 12 months.

Paul Anthony Max, of Nelson, was found guilty of three charges of obtaining by deception in the same case, but won't be sentenced until July 27.

The offending was detected during Operation Chestnut, a joint investigation involving the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA), the Organised and Financial Crime Agency of New Zealand, and the Serious Fraud Office, the SFO said in a statement, describing the investigation as a significant case for the Class 4 gambling sector which is made up of high-turnover gambling including pokie machines.

"The sentences imposed today reflect the very serious nature of the misconduct in this case," SFO director Julie Read said. "The proceeds from pokie machines, intended to provide community funding for sport, health, education and other activities, were directed to entities nominated by Michael O’Brien so that he could obtain a personal benefit amounting to $6.86 million.”

(BusinessDesk)

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

By May 2018: Wider, Earlier Microbead Ban

The sale and manufacture of wash-off products containing plastic microbeads will be banned in New Zealand earlier than previously expected, Associate Environment Minister Scott Simpson announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Snail-ier Mail: NZ Post To Ditch FastPost

New Zealand Post customers will see a change to how they can send priority mail from 1 January 2018. The FastPost service will no longer be available from this date. More>>

ALSO:

Property Institute: English Backs Of Debt To Income Plan

Property Institute of New Zealand Chief Executive Ashley Church is applauding today’s decision, by Prime Minister Bill English, to take Debt-to-income ratios off the table as a tool available to the Reserve Bank. More>>

ALSO:

Divesting: NZ Super Fund Shifts Passive Equities To Low-Carbon

The NZ$35 billion NZ Super Fund’s NZ$14 billion global passive equity portfolio, 40% of the overall Fund, is now low-carbon, the Guardians of New Zealand Superannuation announced today. More>>

ALSO:

Split Decision - Appeal Planned: EPA Allows Taranaki Bight Seabed Mine

The Decision-making Committee, appointed by the Board of the Environmental Protection Authority to decide a marine consent application by Trans-Tasman Resources Ltd, has granted consent, subject to conditions, for the company to mine iron sands off the South Taranaki Bight. More>>

ALSO: