Family Hatchback Reigns Supreme at Car of the Year Awards
Family Hatchback Reigns Supreme at Premier NZ Car of the Year Awards
A family hatchback with a performance edge has beaten more expensive vehicles to be named Supreme Winner in the 2017 AMI Insurance New Zealand Autocar Car of the Year Awards.
The Honda Civic Type R thrilled the judges with its “soulful driver interaction” to take the top award, and also win the Performance category, at the premier awards announced tonight [subs: Thursday, November 23].
“The Civic Type R was one of the most exciting cars we drove all year,” Kyle Cassidy, Editor of New Zealand Autocar says. “It delivers blistering performance and soulful driver interaction, then with the flick of a button it’s a calm, family-friendly five-door hatchback with equal measures of practicality and safety.”
The Honda was chosen from more than 40 entries across six categories, out- scoring higher priced vehicles, even those in the $100,000-plus Luxury category.
“Anyone who says Honda makes boring cars needs to drive the Civic Type R,” Cassidy says. “Priced under $60k, its thrilling performance doesn’t cost the earth.”
Volvo’s XC60 mid-size SUV won the AMI Insurance New Zealand Autocar Safety Award. It is the second time in three years that a Volvo has taken out the award, an important accolade that recognises vehicle performance in New Zealand’s unique driving conditions.
“Safety should be a contributing factor in any car purchase, so we rigorously critique our finalists on international safety standards before they are tested on New Zealand roads,” Cassidy says.
“The judges praised the Volvo’s impressive advanced safety features – with 37.25 out of a possible 38 points for adult occupant protection it is the safest car on the road.
“The XC60 manages to do everything very well. Spacious, refined and capable, it mixes style, safety and substance perfectly.”
For the first time in the awards history, electric vehicles were recognised with the Hyundai Ioniq winning the EV of the Year. The Bike of the Year was the Triumph Street Triple.
AMI Insurance has been a valued sponsor of the New Zealand Autocar Car of the Year Awards for more than 12 years, as the trusted insurance company is committed to making New Zealand’s communities safer, Eve Whitwell, AMI Insurance Community Engagement Manager, says.
“We are proud to showcase vehicle brands that place importance on car safety, brands that take steps to protect people travelling on our roads.”
The 2017 AMI Insurance New Zealand Autocar Car of the Year winners are:
• Supreme Winner: Honda Civic Type R (Honda also won its price category last year.)
• Performance: Honda Civic Type R
• Luxury (over $100,000): Land Rover Discovery
• From $60,000 to $100,000: Volvo XC60 (Volvo has been a finalist twice in three years.)
• From $45,000 to $60,000: Mazda CX-5 (Mazda has been a category winner for the third consecutive year.)
• From $30,000 to $45,000: Subaru XV (Subaru has been a finalist three of the past four years.)
• Under $30,000: Suzuki Swift (This is the second year a Suzuki has been a finalist since 2014.)
• AMI Insurance Safety Award: Volvo XC60
• Bike of the Year: Triumph Street Triple
• EV of the Year: Hyundai Ioniq