NZ Online Retail Sales - provisional Dec 2017 and final Nov figures
BNZ and Marketview monthly report on New Zealand’s Online Retail Sales.
• New Zealanders’ total online retail spending in November 2017 was 13% higher than the previous November
• Provisional December figures show total online spending up on last year’s levels, but the growth rates for both domestic and overseas purchases took a big dip.
• Total online retail spending in December was only up 6% year-on-year
• December online spending was up 7% year-on-year at local merchants but only up 4% at international sites.
• We are cautious not to read too much into the low growth rate for international purchases at this stage. For example, perhaps this year consumers brought forward some of their international spending from December into November (which was a very strong month).
• Sales of Food and Electronic goods at local merchants experienced strong growth in December. However international sites showed a year-on-year drop in Electronic goods sales, following standout sales growth for that sector in November.