Stacey Shortall named New Zealand’s Dispute Star
Stacey Shortall named New Zealand’s Dispute
MinterEllisonRuddWatts partner Stacey Shortall has been named New Zealand’s Disputes Star of the Year at the annual Asia Law Asia-Pacific Dispute Resolution Awards 2018.
The awards ceremony was held in Hong Kong on Thursday, 20 September, honouring the top dispute practitioners in 14 jurisdictions within the Asia-Pacific region.
An internationally recognised lawyer, Stacey Shortall is an award-winning litigation specialist with more than 20 years legal experience. She won widespread respect for her representation of certain directors and officers of Pike River Coal in the numerous investigations following mining disaster, including at the Royal Commission of Inquiry.
MinterEllisonRuddWatts Chief Executive, Andrew Poole says:
"Stacey’s reputation for leading successful teams on significant litigation and regulatory matters is unmatched. This award is excellent recognition of her strategic approach and business acumen."
Stacey Shortall’s recent work includes:
- Advising clients in relation to the joint Financial Markets Authority and Reserve Bank review of conduct and culture in the New Zealand banking sector
- Acting for TVNZ to successfully oppose the judicial review application made by The Opportunities Party to have its leader join televised leaders’ debates before the September 2017 general election
- Acting for various insureds and insurers on claims arising from the Canterbury and Kaikoura earthquakes
- Representing clients with internal and WorkSafe investigations following health and safety incidents, including advising boards of directors and senior management teams
- Assisting off-shore clients with complex issues of jurisdiction and potential culpability in high profile incidents attracting media attention.
She is also widely recognised for her leadership on diversity and charitable endeavours through the "WHO DID YOU HELP TODAY?" social movement she founded.
Congratulations also to partner Zane Kennedy who was named a finalist in the same category.