Thursday 27 September, 2018
From today, ANZ New Zealand personal Visa debit or credit card customers can make contactless payments with compatible Android smart phones using Google Pay.
Google Pay offers Android users a simple and secure way to pay using their mobile phone in stores, and make payments online and within mobile apps.
“Google Pay is a great addition to our mobile payment options,” said ANZ Head of Digital and Transformation Liz Maguire. “ANZ customers can pay with Google Pay everywhere contactless payments are accepted both in New Zealand and around the world.”
To make a payment using Google Pay, customers need to hold their Android phone over the payment terminal, making sure the screen’s awake. The phone will beep or vibrate and once the payment is accepted they’ll receive a receipt notification on their phone’s screen.
Google Pay replaces ANZ’s goMoney Wallet, ANZ’s current Android mobile wallet, which will be phased out from October this year. When ANZ launched its goMoney Wallet in 2015 it was the first bank in New Zealand to offer a mobile wallet within its banking app.
“We’ll be getting in touch with our existing Android goMoney Wallet customers over the coming weeks, encouraging them to set up Google Pay,” Ms Maguire said.
The move to Google Pay will provide customers with a faster and more reliable way to make contactless payments, particularly on older Android devices. It also allows ANZ to offer an Android mobile payment solution to more customers.
As part of the move, existing goMoney Wallet customers will lose the ability to use their digital cards at smart ATMs, although ANZ is looking to reintroduce this functionality.
ANZ already offers Apple Pay for iOS customers. Both Google Pay and Apple Pay allow customers to make contactless payments, and set up and add cards through the ANZ goMoney app.
How to set up Google Pay:
1. Log into ANZ goMoney.
2. From the main navigation menu tap the ‘Google Pay’ icon.
3. Select the card you want to add to Google Pay.
4. Tap ‘next’ and read and agree to the ANZ Google Pay Terms and Conditions (Note: For security purposes ANZ may ask to send you a verification code or ask you to call ANZ to verify).
5. Repeat this process for each card you wish to add, the first card you add will become your default card.
6. Go to your device’s Settings menu and make Google Pay the default payment app.