Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

New homes consented reach 14-year high

4 February 2019

Nearly 33,000 new homes were consented in the December 2018 year, the highest in any year since mid-2004, Stats NZ said today.

In the December 2018 year, 32,996 new homes were consented, just below the most recent peak in the June 2004 year, when 33,251 were consented.

“The number of new homes consented in 2018 reached their highest level in over 14 years,” construction statistics manager Melissa McKenzie said.

“The all-time record was 40,025 new homes consented in the year ended February 1974.”

Nationally, the number of new homes consented rose 6.1 percent in 2018 from the December 2017 year, driven by increases in Auckland and Wellington (up 18 percent and 19 percent respectively).


In the Auckland region, 12,862 new homes were consented in 2018. This is down slightly from the year ended October 2018 when 13,078 homes were consented, the highest number since the early 1970s.

Of the 13 wards that make up the Auckland region, 10 consented more new homes in 2018 than in the previous December year. The largest increase was in the Manurewa-Papakura ward, up from 987 to 1,612, an increase of 63 percent.

There were 2,731 new homes consented in Wellington region in 2018, just below a record 2,781 in the year ended June 2018, the highest since regional records began in 1991.

Nationally, the seasonally adjusted number of all new homes consented in the month of December 2018 was up 5.1 percent from November 2018.

The Government Statistician authorises all statistics and data we publish.



For more information about these statistics:

• Visit Building consents issued: December 2018

• See 40-year high for home consents issued to government

• See CSV files for download

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Electricity Market: Power Panel Favours Scrapping Low-Fixed Charges

An independent panel reviewing electricity prices favours scrapping the government’s low-user fixed charge regime, banning the use of prompt-payment discounts, and requiring greater disclosure of the profit split between the retail and generation arms of the major power companies. More>>

ALSO:

Bottomless Oil And Zero Climate Cost: Greenpeace Not Big On PEPANZ Gas Ban Report

The NZIER report commissioned by oil industry body, PEPANZ, claims the oil and gas ban issued by the Government last April could cost the the New Zealand economy $28 billion by 2050... But Greenpeace says the figures in the report are based on false assumptions and alternative facts. More>>

ALSO:

Sunday Fruit Fly Update: Devonport Fruit And Veg Lockdown

Work continues at pace on the biosecurity response following the discovery last week of one male Queensland fruit fly in a surveillance trap in the Auckland suburb of Devonport. More>>

ALSO:

Digital Services Tax: Government To Plan Tax On Web Operator Income

New Zealand is to consult on the design of changes to tax rules which currently allow multinational companies in the digital services field to do business here without paying income tax. More>>

ALSO: