Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search


Keeping Advertising Dollars in NZ and Helping Kiwi Business

Giggle, or Giggle Entertainment Network, is a franchised advertising channel with screens in more than 1,200 places around the country, including doctors, dentists, vets, gyms, bars and cafes. More than 1.6 million people in total see Giggle screens every week.

As its name suggests, about 65% of the content shown on Giggle screens consists of jokes, memes and fun photos, while the other 35% is made available to local businesses for advertising.

“Giggle offers a new and effective way to target local consumers, plus 100% of the revenue stays in New Zealand. The platform provides multiple benefits for New Zealand businesses and organisations,” says managing director Jasmine Kiihfuss.

“Local companies get to advertise to potential customers in their communities in a fun and interesting way, while the screen hosts get to show entertaining content to their customers, creating a more enjoyable experience for everyone. We’ve all sat in a doctor’s or dentist’s waiting room reading months-old magazines and getting bored.

“Giggle makes that time a much more enjoyable experience for everyone. When people smile and laugh it releases endorphins which keeps them happy. Our research shows perceived wait time is reduced by up to 50% for businesses with a Giggle screen.”

As well as numerous small to medium sized businesses, Government departments have been using the platform, including the Police and Corrections which have run recruitment campaigns on Giggle.

Kiihfuss says Giggle’s motto is two-fold - “there is too much bad news in the world” and “marketing channels in NZ are over-priced”. These beliefs make it unique in digital signage internationally.

Giggle franchisees currently operate in 15 locations around New Zealand, including Wellington, Christchurch, South Canterbury, Nelson, Manawatu, Hawke’s Bay, Taranaki, Hamilton, Taupo, Bay of Plenty, Waitakere and Whangarei.

The company, which has its head office in Wellington, has plans to expand further in Auckland, Australia and the United Kingdom.

In time-honoured Kiwi tradition, Giggle founder Del Shaw came up with the idea in a garage in Palmerston North about 10 years ago. The basic premise was “no matter where in the world you are, no one likes waiting, people love to laugh and businesses want more affordable marketing”.

Says Kiihfuss: “Giggle offers New Zealand businesses and organisations an effective and affordable way to target their local customers. Businesses also love the fact we can create the content for them and their hard-earned money stays in New Zealand.”

Giggle screens are automated so all a business has to do is plug it in and it will start playing, having been programmed to turn on and off with their opening hours. A silent loop of G-rated humorous content plays, interspersed with commercial messages from local businesses.

© Scoop Media

Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines


Up 0.5% In June Quarter: Services Lead GDP Growth

“Service industries, which represent about two-thirds of the economy, were the main contributor to GDP growth in the quarter, rising 0.7 percent off the back of a subdued result in the March 2019 quarter.” More>>


Pickers: Letter To Immigration Minister From Early Harvesting Growers

A group of horticultural growers are frustrated by many months of inaction by the Minister who has failed to announce additional immigrant workers from overseas will be allowed into New Zealand to assist with harvesting early stage crops such as asparagus and strawberries. More>>


Non-Giant Fossil Disoveries: Scientists Discover One Of World’s Oldest Bird Species

At 62 million-years-old, the newly-discovered Protodontopteryx ruthae, is one of the oldest named bird species in the world. It lived in New Zealand soon after the dinosaurs died out. More>>

Rural Employers Keen, Migrants Iffy: Employment Visa Changes Announced

“We are committed to ensuring that businesses are able to get the workers they need to fill critical skills shortages, while encouraging employers and regions to work together on long term workforce planning including supporting New Zealanders with the training they need to fill the gaps,” says Iain Lees-Galloway. More>>


Marsden Pipeline Rupture: Report Calls For Supply Improvements, Backs Digger Blame

The report makes several recommendations on how the sector can better prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from an incident. In particular, we consider it essential that government and industry work together to put in place and regularly practise sector-wide response plans, to improve the response to any future incident… More>>