Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Councillors rue govt funding pullback in SCIRT programme

Chch councillors rue govt funding pullback in successful $2.2B SCIRT programme


By Paul McBeth

May 7 (BusinessDesk) - Christchurch city councillors were left ruing central government's decision to dial back its share of the largely successful $2.24 billion programme to rebuild and repair the city's horizontal infrastructure such as water pipes and roads.

The council's finance and performance committee last week received a final report on the Stronger Christchurch Infrastructure Rebuild Team - SCIRT - and were largely complimentary on the programme's ability to deliver about 740 individual projects within budget.

However, the Crown's 2016 decision to change its cost-sharing commitment, saddling council with an extra $67.1 million of cost, still stuck in the craw of councillors.

Committee chair Raf Manji, who unsuccessfully sought to oust former minister Gerry Brownlee from his Ilam electorate seat in 2017, said the government made a serious error in continually dialling back how much money it spent on the rebuild simply to get its own books back into surplus.

"When people ask me to sum up the rebuild in a few words, I say 'overpromised and underbudgeted'. That’s never a place you want to be."

The SCIRT alliance - comprising council's Citycare Group, Downer EDI, Fulton Hogan, McConnell Dowell, and Fletcher Building's construction arm - was deemed to be a very successful way to rebuild infrastructure, with costs significantly lower than the initial $2.94 billion estimated for the designated work.

Rod Cameron, SCIRT value manager, told the committee that the work was initially split equally among the contractors, but as the projects went on, the more successful ones got more work. Without identifying them, he said one contractor picked up 24 percent of the work, one got 17 percent, and the other three were in between.

The alliance also included a pain/gain provision, where the incentive payments or rebates were shared equally. As it stood, the alliance ended up $12 million over budget, triggering the 'pain' rebate, something Cameron said was a good performance given the size of the programme.

The report to council acknowledged the funding debate about SCIRT but said a significant sum was spent by the government to repair and restore horizontal infrastructure.

"The city could not have this without the assistance of the government and the progress has been impressive," the report said.

The 2013 cost-sharing agreement was to have seen the Crown's contribution capped at $1.8 billion and the council's at $1.4 billion. The now defunct-Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority was to pay for 60 percent of eligible three waters work and the New Zealand Transport Agency was to pay for 83 percent of eligible road, bridge and retaining wall repairs.

That arrangement got scaled back when a new government policy meant the Crown's cost-sharing was calculated on the depreciated value of the assets, not the replacement cost of projects. That capped out at $1.69 billion and effectively transferred $67.1 million of cost on to the council.

Christchurch City Council staff said better planning by funders in future arrangements could deliver a better result for the public, such as by better coordinating the timing of projects to avoid some of the double-handling that had occurred in Christchurch.

"In hindsight, it may have been prudent for CCC to have considered fully funding this type of work, taking advantage of the economies of scale and integrating this additional work with the SCIRT programme," the staff report said.

"The same applies to other utility companies, in Christchurch’s case Orion and Enable and private developers. This would require greater communication on where work is planned and seeking their cooperation. The effort would be worthwhile."

The council's books were stretched by the rebuild, and at the time the local authority considered selling assets to meet its share of the bill.

(BusinessDesk)

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Marsden Pipeline Rupture: Report Calls For Supply Improvements, Backs Digger Blame

The report makes several recommendations on how the sector can better prevent, prepare for, respond to, and recover from an incident. In particular, we consider it essential that government and industry work together to put in place and regularly practise sector-wide response plans, to improve the response to any future incident… More>>

ALSO:

Oil Scare: Trump Authorises Use Of Emergency Crude Stockpile

The New Zealand dollar fell against the US dollar after President Donald Trump authorised the use of the country's emergency crude stockpile after the weekend attack on Saudi Arabia’s major oil facilities. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Post-Brexit Deal Talks: UK Trade Minister Visits Wellington

New Zealand should get a better deal for exports of sheepmeat, beef and dairy products into the United Kingdom after Brexit, the British Minister of State for Trade, Liz Truss, said in Wellington today. More>>

ALSO:

Not-Very Well: Tamarind Halts Tui Drilling; OMV Assesses Options

Tamarind Resources has halted drilling at its Tui oil field off the Taranaki coast after the first of the three planned wells came up dry. Managing director Ian Angell says that despite the “unexpected” result from the first well, the firm believes the other two prospects are worth pursuing. More>>

ALSO:

Seeking 'Clarity': Crown To Appeal Southern Response Decision, Offers Costs

“It is our intention that the clarity that will come from the outcome of these proceedings will enable the Crown to work with Southern Response to provide a soundly based proactive solution to those people that are affected.” More>>