Video | Agriculture | Confidence | Economy | Energy | Employment | Finance | Media | Property | RBNZ | Science | SOEs | Tax | Technology | Telecoms | Tourism | Transport | Search

 

Synlait receives cease and desist letter regarding Pokeno

Synlait receives cease and desist letter regarding Pokeno plant

By Rebecca Howard

May 21 (BusinessDesk) - Synalit Milk has received a cease and desist letter regarding its Pokeno land but believes a practical solution is attainable.

Synlait has begun building a second nutritional powder manufacturing site that had been set to be commissioned in the upcoming 2019-2020 dairy season.

When Synlait purchased the land in February 2018, that was conditional on the seller, Stonehill Trustee, procuring the removal of the covenants on the land which restricted its use to grazing, lifestyle farming or forestry.

Stonehill had ignored a previous cease and desist letter from the owner of adjacent land,Ye Qing and his company New Zealand Industrial Park, after Synlait started earthworks in March last year and began building the factory in May.

A High Court decision in November last year had removed the covenants and then Synlait took title to the land. But Ye won his appeal against that decision earlier this month.

“Yesterday, Synlait received a cease and desist letter from the beneficiary of the covenant while the beneficiary considers its options following the Court of Appeal decision,” Synlait chief executive Leon Clement said in a statement.

“We are taking advice and talking to all parties, and we believe a practical solution is attainable,” he said.

He acknowledged, however, that the convenants, if left in place, could "hinder Synlait's intention to develop the site."

The shares last traded at $9.95 and are down 3.4 percent over the past 12 months.

(BusinessDesk)

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Business Headlines | Sci-Tech Headlines

 

Seeking 'Clarity': Crown To Appeal Southern Response Decision, Offers Costs

“It is our intention that the clarity that will come from the outcome of these proceedings will enable the Crown to work with Southern Response to provide a soundly based proactive solution to those people that are affected.” More>>

Thinking Of The Children: Plan For Classification For Commercial Video On Demand

Classifying on-demand video content will be made mandatory to bring it in line with other media and provide better guidance and protections to families and young people, says Internal Affairs Minister Tracey Martin. More>>

Cheques Out: Inland Revenue And ACC Push For Paperless

Inland Revenue and the Accident Compensation Corporation are calling ‘time’ on cheques. From March next year, IR and ACC will no longer accept payments by cheque from customers who are able to use alternative payment options. More>>

ALSO:

"Vision And Growth": Capital Markets 2029 Report

Broader participation by New Zealanders, greater access to growth capital for New Zealand enterprises, and more choices for investors drive the recommendations in the Capital Markets 2029 report released today. More>>

ALSO:

Forest & Bird: Call For More Funding To Stop Plague Of Wallabies

Wallabies could spread over a third of New Zealand within the next 50 years, unless control is increased dramatically, says Forest & Bird central North Island regional manager Rebecca Stirnemann. More>>

ALSO: