Reclaiming APEC Conference Next Month
6th August 1999
For Immediate Release
The "Reclaiming APEC" conference is to begin in Auckland a month tomorrow and immediately before the APEC meeting of Heads of State.
"APEC is little more than a corporate scam. Instead of achieving its vision of stability, security & prosperity for the people of its member nations, APEC has focussed on establishing a free market that benefits multi-national interests at the expense of the people and the environment" said Bruce Dyer, the conference organiser.
"The conference comes from the same stable as last October's "Beyond Capitalism" seminar and will both challenge APEC's misguided direction and develop positive and holistic models for future development."
The 3-day conference is to be held at Auckland University from 7th - 9th September.
The Conference's website www.prout.org/apec includes details of the organisations promoting the conference, profiles of the speakers and registration information.
For further information contact:
Bruce Dyer of Proutist Universal, Box 984, Nelson
tel/fax: (03) 548 7284; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NB. Speakers at the conference include:
Dr Hazel Henderson (USA) a recipient of the 1996 Global Citizen Award,
- Sir Paul Reeves Asia 2000 visiting professor NZ-Asia Institute of University of Auckland,
- Marilyn Waring former National MP, economist at Massey University's Albany campus,
- Jeanette Fitzsimons M.P. Co-leader of Green Party,
- Suhki Turner Dunedin's first woman Mayor,
- Dr Pita Sharples of Ngatikahungunu Hawkes Bay, Professor of Maori and Indigenous Education at Auckland University,
- Rod Oram Editor Business Herald,
- Marissa De Guzman (Philippines) an associate of Walden Bello who is unable to attend,
- Dr Sohail Inayatullah (Aust.) Futurist and UNESCO chair at the University of Trier,
- Del Wihongi of Ngapuhi who formulated the claim to the Waitangi Tribunal to establish the ownership of the intellectual property in our indigenous flora and fauna,
- and Marion Wood Chief Executive YWCA & Chair of Council for International Development.
Attend: "Reclaiming APEC" conference
7th - 9th September '99, Auckland University.