XTRA Reaches Out And About
Now there is channel where you can maximise your leisure time in nine different cities around New Zealand. Welcome to xtra.co.nz/outandabout
Auckland. Hamilton. Tauranga. Rotorua. Napier/Hastings. Palmerston North. Wellington. Christchurch. Dunedin. Restaurants. News. Movies. Bars. Cafes. Gigs. Plays. Accommodation. Tourist attractions. Now, mix and match to your choice.
The Out and About Channel is three years old and was bought by Xtra in June 2000. It has won a host of awards over the years and looks set to win even more thanks to some recent changes making it a comprehensive guide to nine cities around New Zealand with contributions from the people who know - the locals.
This channel is designed for visitor interaction: people can send in reviews to be considered for publication, there are news polls and they can make booking inquiries for accommodation online.
Out and About Producer, Phil Sheehan, spent time travelling around the country in January on the hunt for the right people to provide local event and gig information.
“I was looking for people who knew their city and were passionate about it. Everybody selected to contribute to the Out and About Channel has plenty of local contacts and know what’s coming up,” said Mr Sheehan.
Thanks to these passionate contributors around the country and the team at Xtra, xtra.co.nz/outandabout now contains
- Restaurants – every restaurant listed is
defined by cuisine type
from YELLOW PAGES listings.
- Check out what movies are on where, and at what times.
- Read reviews of movies and restaurants.
- If you are dining out, check out links to nearby movie theatres, ATMs,
and bottle stores for BYO’s.
- Accommodation – from backpackers to five star hotels.
- Events - ranging from ballet, opera, concerts, to exhibitions.
- Things to do – including tourist attractions, icons, and museums &
- Gigs – pubs, clubs and bands.
- Community Resources– local resources (such as pools and community
centres), libraries, car parks, churches, and council news.
- Getting Around – public transport and some timetables.
- Regional news stories content provided by IRN.
Go to xtra.co.nz/outandabout before you go anywhere else – it will give you more time to have more fun – in lots of places.
Content providers include: IRN, Jasons for accommodation information, movie distributors and theatres, local councils, YELLOW PAGES and Regional Tourism Offices.