He Powhiri - Te Hui a Tau a Kawea Te Rongo
KAWEA TE RONGO
National Maori Journalists Association
Te Hui a Tau a Kawea Te Rongo
National Maori Journalists Association Annual General Meeting
E nga maunga e tu ake nei, e nga awa e tere atu nei,
Tena koutou katoa!
Kawea Te Rongo. the National Maori Journalists Association, will hold its annual hui from September28-29, at Te Ohaaki Marae in Huntly.
This is the first time the event has been hosted outside of Waiariki and is being staged in the Waikato to encourage Maori from other journalism training institutions to particpate, and to draw on the large number of Maori in the media and related industries in Auckland and Waikato and other Maori interested in the field.
This two-day conference includes a raft of leading Maori journalists working in both the mainstream and Maori media, like TV3’s Mike McRoberts, TVNZ’s Maramena Roderick, Maori entrepreneurs including Adriene Pierce from Porse NZ. Mike Tamaki from Tamaki Tours - New Zealand’s Supreme Tourism Award Winners and comedian Mike King who has his own spin on Maori Television.(see attached programme)
Kawea Te Rongo is formally affiliated to the NZ Journalists Training Organisation and has represented Maori journalism interests at events such as the Pacific Island News Association conference, in the development of the Waiariki Journalism course, Te Paki-a-Tuhi, in training programmes for our members involved in Maori language media, and in the development of the Maori television service.
The venue for the hui is Te Ohaaki Marae, on Te Ohaaki Rd, 1.5km north of the Huntly Power Station on the western riverbank. It’s signposted.
- Please e-mail email@example.com to confirm that you will be attending this conference with your contact details so we can accurately gauge numbers and keep you updated
- The marae will be open on Friday evening to host those who are traveling from afar, these people must ensure they contact firstname.lastname@example.org , so that dinner and accommodation can be provided.
- Please pass this panui onto anyone who you think might be interested in attending this hui, including those who support kaupapa Maori.
Saturday 28 September 2002
10:30am Morning tea
10:45am Opening Speaker
- Mike McRoberts - TV3 journalist, 60 minutes presenter and former Radio New Zealand sports journalist and broadcaster.TV3 journalist and 60 minutes presenter.
The Challenges facing Maori journalists - panel discussion.
Maramena Roderick, former TVNZ foreign correspondent, UK, Holmes reporter
Tracey Cooper, Waikato Times, Maori Affairs reporter
Shane Taurima, Ruia Mai, Political reporter
1:00pm Guest Speaker: Adrienne Pierce - Porse Network
Presentation of NZQA certificate in Te Reo Maori broadcasting.
Tini Molyneux, Te Anga Nathan, Wena Tait, Sandi Barr.
From behind the lens - A cameraman’s perspective on journalism.
- Guest Speaker: Dave Graham, TVNZ Cameraman
- Guest Speaker: Kenny Roger, Qantas Awars winning Photographer, NZ Herald
3:30pm Afternoon tea
3:45pm Guest Speaker:
Tuku Morgan, Astraeus Productions
Mike Tamaki - Tamaki Tours
6.30pm - 9.30pm Formal dinner
Sunday 29 September, 2002
10:30am Election of Officers
- Note that the powhri will be held at 9.30am and will be hosted by kaumatua of Te Ohaaki Marae
- Accommodation and catering will be provided at the marae but you will need to make your own travel arrangements.
- All participants are asked to pay a registration of $50.00 or koha. This must be paid to our treasurer Paul Diamond. Guest speakers will be staying at the Tainui Novotel. Rooms can be hired for $129 plus GST per room plus breakfast, Quality Inn per room $99 incl GST, North End Motel, Huntly $60 or else sleep at the marae like real Maori should.
- The programme includes an Open Forum where it is intended that participants ask questions of guest speakers or share their views on other matters of interest to the hui. The forum will be directed by the Chairman of Kawea Te Rongo.
- No alcohol is permitted on the marae. Te Ohaaki is a smokefree marae - you have to go smoke with the cows.
- Participants should note that all discussion, addresses by key speakers may be recorded for broadcast or publication.
- The current 2001 - 2002 Executive of Kawea Te Rongo includes:
Kawea Te Rongo Executive 2001
- Te Anga Nathan - Chairman, Te Hinatore Media
- Lana Simmons - Secretary, Communications Manager , Te Tauri Whiri I te Reo Maori
- Paul Diamond - Treasurer, Reporter Radio NZ
- Wena Harawira - Hula Haka Productions
- Chris Wikaira - Busby Ramshaw Grice, Communications & Public Affairs
- Ana Tapiata - Regional Communications, Te Puni Kokiri
- Maramena Roderick - TVNZ
- Jodi Ihaka - TVNZ
For further information please contact:
Te Anga Nathan Ph (07) 824 8240 or (021) 337 377