Top Dutch Floral Design Master Will Be In Wgtn
Top Dutch Floral Design Master Will Be In Wellington For Flora! Flora! Event At Government House.
Abel Verheijen, is recognised worldwide as one of the flower worlds leading authorities on floral art and design. He will be one of the international guest judges for the new Flora! Flora! floral art and design exhibition and competition which will be held in the Capital over Labour weekend. His credits list floral designs for the Netherlands Royal Family on several state occasions.
‘With over 100 professional and amateur florists competing the impact of having the critical eye of such a distinguished judge will further add to the prestige of the occasion.’ Says Phil Sprey chairman of the Worlds of Wellington Trust. ‘Mr. Verheijen is being sponsored by the Royal Netherlands Embassy who continue to be one of the most proactive of all the diplomatic missions and a very welcome partner in making this event a success.’
Other international guest florist will be joining Abel Verheijen at Flora! Flora! which will also boast the demonstration of the talent and craftsmanship that the arts students are bringing to the art form. While not actually competing, New Zealand’s floral educators and students will have the opportunity to see the world’s best close up. The Public Event is a fund raiser for NZ CCS and is hosted at Government House, Wellington.
BIO: ABEL VERHEIJEN
Born Amsterdam 1944
- Study horticulture (Florens College – Aalsmeer)
- Two years Master Design School – Amsterdam
- 1982 – Song Festival Norway
- Started 2 flower retail outlets in Aalsmeer and Uithoorn (10 years) and featured in floral exhibitions, parades, shows and on Dutch TV.
- 1984 wrote a floral design book
- Worked and organised exhibitions etc for Flower Council of Holland, HPP, IBC with over 670 events around the world. (Asia, Europe, Middle East, North America)
- In Europee 170 diff. Horsenshows with flowers for Volov Word cup in o.a. Sweden, Germany, France, England, Austria, Italy and U.S.A.
- 1990 the World Equestrian Games in Stockholm Sweden.
- In 1982 and in 1992 I was chief designer of the indoor flower exhibition permanent part of the Floriade in Amsterdam and Zoetemeer.
- In 1990 and 2000 O was the head designer for the Gentse Floralien in Belgie of the Holland stand and we are the Winner of the first and the second lands price.
- More than 25 years Flower exhibitions “Hortifair Aalsmeer and Amsterdam stands for Meilland and Olij, they are Rosegrowers.
- Pasadena Rose Parade U.S.A. in 1999 helping on the flower cars.
- Jury member for Horticulture school in Holland, Gardenclubs in Monaco Princess Caroline.
- Many flower designs for the Royal family: The Royal Wedding in 1966 HRH. Beatrix and Prince Claus in the Royal Palace in Amsterdam.
- In 1980 the coronation of HRH Beatrix in the church in Amsterdam.
- In 2002 the Royal wedding in the church for Prince Willem Alexander and princess Maxima Zorreguieta.
Flora! Flora! 2002 is supported and
sponsored by: New Zealand Professional Florist Inc.,
Floramax Flower Auctions, United Flower Auctions (UFA),
Interflora Pacific Unit Ltd.
Teleflora, Flower Promotion New Zealand, Floral Art Society of New Zealand, The Radio Network, Stagecoach, Wellington City Council- Arts and Cultural and Community Festival Committee and Totally Wellington.