Nation Gets Behind Team New Zealand
13 September 2002
Nation Gets Behind Team New Zealand
New Zealand's largest ever online auction kicks off in one week, with over 1,500 auction items donated from around the country to help raise money for Team New Zealand.
The Great Team New Zealand Auction is a fundraising initiative being co-ordinated by Bayleys Realty Group whose offices have been sourcing items nationwide for the Internet auction.
Bayleys managing director Jeff Davidson says there has been an overwhelming response to the initiative with a huge variety of goods and services donated.
"The enthusiasm and backing we've received from all over New Zealand has been fantastic with more than fifty percent of the donated items coming from outside of Auckland," says Mr Davidson.
All the items donated have a minimum retail value of $300, with the average value of items donated to date close to $800, although they are being offered for sale without a reserve.
Money raised from the auction will be used to develop Team New Zealand's two new boats in the lead up to its America's Cup defence in February, aiming to give Team New Zealand an edge during the racing.
The Great Team New Zealand Auction runs from Friday September 20 to Friday October 18 2002. Anyone with goods or service they would like to donate can contact their nearest Bayleys office or telephone 0800 229 539.
Registering to bid is done through the Team New Zealand web site www.teamnewzealand.com . Trade Me will provide the auction system with promotional support from Xtra/MSN.
Items will be listed for a seven-day period with items coming onto the site and closing throughout the four-week auction period. It is a 'no reserve' auction - items go on the market from the first bid and the person holding the highest bid at the end of the auction period will secure the item.
What's up for Auction?
A number of professionals and service providers are offering their time and expertise for auction, including lawyers, accountants, business and investment advisers, doctors, dentists, architects, engineers, valuers, automotive service companies, signwriters, musicians and others.
Retail items on offer range from designer dresses to furniture, jewellery and appliances - one company has donated $15,000 plus worth of appliances.
A huge range of travel and leisure items have been donated throughout the country, including accommodation, restaurant meals, transport and tickets for adventure activities and attractions.
A selection of sporting memorabilia has been donated including a number of priceless items from Team New Zealand.
One such item is Team New Zealand's wind tunnel testing model - a 1:15 scale model made of solid wood. The model has a black hull, mast and rigging and full 2003 Team New Zealand livery.
Highlights of unusual and quirky items donated for auction:
* Lord of the Rings memorabilia of the characters Frodo and Sam signed by the actors, Elijah Wood and Sean Astin.
* Seat in television commentary box for NPC and Warriors games.
* Tennis lessons from Lan Bale - world-class Pro Tennis coach and player.
* Bed and breakfast accommodation in the beautiful World Heritage-listed Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia.
* $8,700 Cruise from Auckland to Sydney.
* Double Platinum Award signed by Neil & Tim Finn - donated by Neil & Tim Finn, Festival Records.
* Lunch for two with Winston Peters at the Beehive.
* Tea for 6 with Her Excellency Dame Silvia Cartwright at Government House, including a tour.
* Walk-on "extra" roles on Mercy Peak, Street Legal and Shortland Street.
* A day with the Auckland Blues.
* Ride with World Marathon Rally Champion Joe McAndrew.
* A 2,000 year old coin (a drachno).
* Trip to Melbourne as a special guest of Greg Murphy and "hot laps" at the Kmart Racing Team's sponsor day in Melbourne.
* A "Welcome to Wellington" package from Her Worship the Mayor Kerry Prendergast.
* Rugby balls and jerseys personally signed by All Black captains
* Private movie screening for up to 150 people in the Marlborough region.
* Plastic surgery worth $30,000.
* Fully catered corporate box at WestpacTrust stadium for Super 12 Game, 2003, and at Eden Park for a Black Caps V India one-day International. For more information on the Great Team New Zealand Auction or any of the auction items, please contact: