Violence On Television
Violence On Television
"Violence on Television" will be the subject of a free public lecture by JOHN TERRIS QSO JP, Mayor of Hutt City, to be given on Friday night 15 November at Connolly Hall, Guilford Terrace (off Hill St), Thorndon. The meeting is sponsored by the Society for Promotion of Community Standards Inc.
Public Meeting To Focus On Violence In Tv ‘Entertainment’
1. Are you concerned about the high levels of gratuitous and graphic violence and sexual violence featured in television ‘entertainment’?
2. Are you disturbed about the high levels of “sexual violence” and “graphic violence” approved in films and videos as suitable for adult ‘entertainment’ by the Chief Censor Bill Hastings?
3. Are you angry that films, DVDs and videos containing “frequent disturbing depictions of violence and repeated explicit sexual content and sexual violence” are being approved for theatrical release as “adult entertainment” by the Chief Censor’s Office and the Film and Literature Board of Review?
4. Are you infuriated that R18 films containing “sexual violence” and “graphic violence” approved by the Chief Censor’s Office, are now being screened regularly on television?
5. Do you think our Chief Censor understands the connection between frequent exposure to depictions of “sexual violence” and the proliferation of sex attacks, child abuse, domestic violence and sexual offending in our society?
6. Do you think our Chief Censor and the Broadcasting Standards Authority (BSA) chaired by Peter Cartwright – husband of Dame Silvia Cartwright - are addressing the issues of violence on television in a responsible manner?
7. Are you aware that the following people are members of the Film and Literature Board of Review and are approving films and videos that depict high levels of sexual violence, graphic violence, dehumanising, and degrading and demeaning depictions of women involving depictions of explicit sex acts combined with violence? ...........
Board Members: Claudia Elliott (President), Greg Presland (Vice-President), Mark Anderson, Peter Cartwright [Chair of BSA], Dr Brian McDonnell, Pamela Meekings-Stewart, Marion Orme, Dr Lalita Rajasingham and Stephen Stehlin.
If these matters concern you then you are invited to attend a:
Free Public Lecture
JOHN TERRIS QSO JP Hutt City Mayor & Former MP
President of VoTE (Viewers of Television Excellence)
“Violence on Television”
Venue: Connolly Hall, Guilford Tce (off Hill Street: Parking behind hall)
Time 8.00 p.m. Date: Friday 15 November 2002