Nzso To Undertake First Int Tour In 3 Years
Nzso To Undertake First International Tour In 3 Years
The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra (NZSO) is pleased to announce that it will undertake a one-concert tour to Japan in October this year as part of the International Performing Arts Festival 2003. The NZSO were invited by Naomoto Okayama, C.E.O of the Association of Japanese Symphony Orchestras
"We are delighted to be invited to Japan for this remarkable feast of orchestras. It is a tribute to the NZSO's international reputation - which is constantly being nourished by the excellent reviews we receive worldwide for our CD releases." says NZSO Chief Executive Peter Walls.
The orchestra, conducted by NZSO Music Director, James Judd, will perform on 6 October at Symphony Hall in Osaka. The concert programme will feature works from the NZSO's current subscription season as well as NZ composer, Douglas Lilburn's Aotearoa Overture and New Zealand mezzo, Helen Medlyn, who will be soloist in Elgar's Sea Pictures. "The invitation to take part in the prestigious International Performing Arts Festival 2003 is a fantastic acknowledgement of the NZSO's world-class work," said Associate Arts, Culture and Heritage Minister Judith Tizard. "International tours are a vital element in boosting New Zealand's creative industries and cultural profile, and I am delighted that the orchestra will take such a strong programme including Lilburn and Medlyn. I wish them the very best for this opportunity."
The previously advertised Composer Focus concert - 'Prokofiev'- scheduled for 3 October at the Wellington Town Hall, has been moved back to 2 October. Venue, time and programme remain unchanged.
Naomoto Okayama will be in Wellington on Friday 21 March for
one day only and will be available for interviews after the
formal announcement of the tour.