First and Fourth for NZL Olympic Campaigners
Date: Monday 2nd February 2004
Issued By: Louise Andrews
2004 Rolex Miami OCR
26 - 30 January 2004
Miami, Florida - USA
Yngling class Olympic campaigners, Sharon Ferris and her crew of Kylie Jameson and Joanna White have won gold at the 2004 Rolex Miami ORC regatta in Florida, ahead of sixteen other international competitors including 2003 Yngling World Champions Hannah Swett, Joan Touchette and Melissa Purdy (USA).
The Rolex Miami ORC Regatta is tipped as the one of North America's largest ISAF Grade One ranking events, involving world class competition representing 39 nations.
The Yngling is one of four classes New Zealand is yet to be qualified in for the 2004 Olympic Games. The next opportunity to qualify will be the International Yngling Women's World Championship to be held in Santander, Spain from 7 - 15th May 2004.
In the Tornado class, Aaron McIntosh and Mark Kennedy placed a credible fourth in the fleet of 29 boats, including the 2000 Olympic Bronze Medalist Austria's Roman Hagara.
New Zealand is also yet to qualify in the Tornado class for the 2004 Olympics. The 2004 qualifier is the Tornado World Championship, to be held in Palma, Mallorca from 11 - 18th April 2004.
YNGLING: (17 boats)
1. Ferris / Jameson / White (NZL) - 30 points
2. Swett / Purdy / Touchette (USA) - 35 points
3. Eikeland / Fredriksen / Kristiansen (NOR) - 44 points
15. Thorpe / Vinsen / Lambert - (NZL) - 87 points
TORNADO: (29 boats)
1. Figueroa / Hernandez (PUR) - 33 points
2. Hagara / Steinacher (AUT) - 36 points
3. Booth / Derchsen (NED) - 37 points
4. McIntosh / Kennedy (NZL) - 43 points
For full results refer to the official website: http://www.ussailing.org/olympics/RolexMiamiOCR/index.htm