Award Winning Cats!
June 6, 2004
AWARD WINNING CATS!
Auckland has been inundated with cats from all over New Zealand this weekend at the WHISKAS National Cat Show.
Hundreds of cats competed for one of the ten 'Best in Show' titles in the long hair, short hair and domestic categories. The short hair category included 15 different breed of cat and the long hair included eight.
The winning cats came from far and wide including Dunedin, Nelson and Auckland.
This event was a great opportunity for cat lovers throughout the country to meet and present their 'best' cats.
Peter Hanley, WHISKAS National Cat Show Secretary says there was a fantastic turn out at this year's event and the variety and quality of the entries was very impressive.
"To win a 'Best in Show' title is amazing. This prestigious title is greatly admired and cat owners appreciate and recognise this. It's a great honour and something to be very proud of," says Hanley.
The 'Best in Show' cats were judged against the ideal standard for each breed including structure, size, overall balance, quality of coat and eye colour.
The judges came from all over the world for this event including Holland, France, Canada, Australia, Israel and New Zealand.
Janine Chamley, Masterfoods' Marketing Manager - Petcare (NZ), says as the official sponsor, WHISKAS encourages responsible pet ownership and it was great to see such displays of affection and the immense pride the cat owners have for the animals.
"There was a huge variety of cats here over the weekend and the general atmosphere and spirit of the two-day event was fantastic," Chamley added.
Each winner received a winning ribbon and card plus additional prizes including an anorak, spectator bag and WHISKAS cat food.
There were hundreds of visitors to this year's event and on display at the show were some very rare and interesting looking felines.
The ten winners for the 'Best in Show' titles were:
* Shorthair Entire Cats - Thelma Blythen from Paparoa, Auckland won her title with her Abyssinian called Merindalee my name is Bond, aged 18 months.
* Longhair Entire Cats - Mr. and Mrs. W & R Boulton from Nelson won their title with a Red Persian - Solid Colour called Ch Elite Sunset on Fire aged 15 months.
* Shorthair Entire Kittens - Raewyn Copland from Ashburton won the title with her Blue British Shorthair called Muffin, aged 7 months.
* Longhair Entire Kittens - Jennie Paul from Ardmore, Auckland won the title with her Chocolate point Persian - pointed called Lavatera Darlin Delta Dawn aged 8 months.
* Shorthair Neuter/Spay Cats - 12 year old Charlotte Laurent from St. Heliers, Auckland won the title with her Burmese - Seal called Pr Arsenios China Girl aged 2 years.
* Longhair Neuter/Spay Cats - Peter and Linda Hanley from Waimauku, Auckland won the title with their Tortoiseshell Exotic called BT, aged 7 years.
* Shorthair Neuter/Spay Kittens -Mrs. Audrey Munro from Highgate, Dunedin won the title with her Oriental Chocolate Silver Lynx called Jangar Soprano.
* Longhair Neuter/Spay Kittens - Mr. William Purvis from Taumarunui, won the title with his orange - eyed white Persian - solid colour called Izakram, aged 8 months.
* Shorthair Domestic Cats & Kittens - Colleen Vincent from Red Beach, Silverdale won the title with her brown tabby and white called Tigger, aged 3 ½ years.
* Longhair Domestic Cats & Kittens - Myra Hansen from Papatoetoe, won the title with her silver tabby called Lorenzo, aged 18 months.