Arch Hill September News
Arch Hill September News
Included in the newsletter is:
- Good word on the Ghostplane album and tour dates
- Here Comes the Boxcar Guitars EP September 19th
- We likes the Bachelorette
- New Arch Hill Website at www.archhill.co.nz
- Kilgour and Punches shows
- October: Arch Hill Compilation 3 "Head for the Hill" and release gigs
- Grand Prix - racing for release.
Good Word on the Ghostplane Album and Tour Dates
Some of you will know this already I am sure, but the album "Beneath the Sleepy lagoon" was released last Monday and features a dozen tracks of "intriguing" indie-alt country sounds. People have been saying nice things about it too: Simon Sweetmen in the Dominion Post says, "These tunes are lovely and well-realised, perfectly executed" (four and a half stars) and Russell Baillie writes, "they don't just deliver a bunch of songs, they create their own sound world" (four stars)...and there is more elsewhere...
And Ghostplane will be bringing their excellent live show to a town near you:
- Friday 9th September - -Ghostplane - Hamilton - Sohl bar
- Saturday 10th September Ghostplane, Mestar,the Shrugs - Dogs Bollix,Auckland
- Friday 16th September -- Ghostplane, Mestar,the Shrugs - Indigo, Wellington
- Thursday 22nd September - - Ghostplane, Mestar,the Shrugs - Hot Mamas, Motueka(with Mestar)
- Friday 23rd September - - Ghostplane, Mestar- Wunderbar, Christchurch
- Saturday 24th September - - Ghostplane,Mestar - Arc, Dunedin
Here Comes the Boxcar Guitars EP September 19th
The Boxcar Guitars will be releasing the much awaited debut six track EP on September the 19th. The EP includes two versions of the radio favorite "My Love is Blue" as well as four tracks recorded in the opulent environs of Hellensville's "The Grand". They capture the excellent live sound the band have developed - playing with everyone from internationals Lambchop to Will Oldham, to locals the Checks or the Bats. And speaking of live, you will have plenty of opportunity to see the band up on a stage near you
- Saturday 17th September Boxcar Guitars, White Swan and the Spoils (from Australia) Odeon, Auckland
- Thursday 22nd September - Boxcar Guitars, Howie Gelb Kings Arms, Auckland
- Saturday 24th September - Boxcar Guitars, The Chandeliers at Happy, Wellington.
- Thursday 29th September - Boxcar Guitars, the Spoils the Odeon, Auckland We Likes the Bachelorette
The seven track (for $14.95!) Bachelorette EP was released a few weeks back and people are also saying some very nice things about it. Gareth Shute writes in Pavement Magazine that "Rarely does an album enter your ears and seduce your soul as fluidly as the debut seven track mini album 'The End Of Things'". Adrian Osman says in Real Groove that the EP is "an oblivion ride that won't alarm but gradually delivers" (sounds interesting) and Jon Bywater writes in the NZ Listener "In the best moments, detail is quietly built up as the guitar rolls backwards and her voice splits into different tracks" and he describes the EP as "cinematic" and the guitar of Mick Elborado as having "exceptional feel". If you would like to see some of this live then get along to
- Saturday 10th September Bachelorette, Ruby Suns, Nudie Suites - Auckland, Kings Arms.
- Thursday 6th October Bachelorette, ThomasParkes - Christchurch, Dux DeLux
- Saturday 8th October Bachelorette - Dunedin, Arc cafe
New Arch Hill Website at www.archhill.co.nz
Yes that¹s right, quietly behind the scenes we have been building a cyber behemoth, a place where you can watch Arch Hill videos, listen to Arch Hill tunes, buy Arch Hill CDs, read Arch Hill blogs, listen to Arch Hill soundtracks and find out the latest in Arch Hill news. It has actually been up there for a month or two, but we've been so busy we forgot to tell anyone. The website is the handiwork of the very talented Hayden Sinclair, bass player extraordinaire in SPA and Salon Kingsadore (who are both playing at the Dogs Bollix in Auckland this Wednesday BTW). Of particular note are new videos and tracks from Ghostplane and Grand Prix, new tracks from the Boxcar Guitars, Bachelorette and Punches. Go take a look at www.archhill.co.nz Kilgour and Punches Shows.
David Kilgour is heading north to Auckland to play a show at the Kings Arms, and Punches continue to get out and about
- Friday 16th September, SJD, David Kilgour,Punches - Auckland - KingsArms
- Friday 23rd September - David Kilgour with Howie Gelb - Dunedin, Arc Cafe
Arch Hill Compilation 3 "Head for the Hill" and Release Shows
Look out for the third installment in the Arch Hill compilation series...this one will be a limited addition one and only available at two release gigs and on-line at the Arch Hill website (if there are any left after the gigs!). The CD will have 11 tracks on it from the following bands: Ghostplane (a previously unreleased track), Grand Prix, David Kilgour, Boxcar Guitars, Pine, Punches, Bachelorette, White Swan, Fang, David Mulcahy and Salon Kingsadoore.
- Friday October 7th - "Head for theHill" Arch Hillcompilation show- Auckland, Dogs Bollix
- Saturday October 8th - "Head for theHill" Arch Hillcompilation release show - Wellington, Indigo Grand Prix - Racing for Release We can tell you this: Look out for the second Grand Prix album "the Way of the Racer" in November - on Arch Hill Recordings.
That should just about do it.
From Arch Hill
If you don't want to get the occasional Arch Hill email newsletter then please let us know and we'll take you off the list. If you got this twice, or some other error occurred, sorry again! If you emailed me today or yesterday I may not have got it.
Friday 9th September - Ghostplane and Mestar at Sohl Bar, Hamilton
Saturday 10th September - Ghostplane and Mestar at Dogs Bollix, Auckland
Saturday 10th September - Bachelorette with the Ruby Suns and the Nudie Suites Kings Arms, Auckland
Friday 16th September - David Kilgour with SJD at the Kings Arms, Auckland
Saturday 16th September - Ghostplane and Mestar at Indigo, Wellington
Saturday 17th September - Boxcar Guitars with White Swan and the Spoils (from Australia) Odeon, Auckland
Thursday 22nd September - Boxcar Guitars with Howie Gelb Kings Arms, Auckland
Thursday 22nd September - Ghostplane and Mestar at Hot Mamas, Motueka
Friday 23rd September - David Kilgour with Howie Gelb at Arc Cafe
Friday 23rd September - Ghostplane and Mestar - Dux De Lux, Christchurch
Saturday 24th September - Boxcar Guitars and the Chandeliers at Happy, Wellington.
Saturday 24th September - Ghostplane and Mestar - Arc Cafe, Dunedin
Thursday 29th September - Boxcar Guitars and the Spoils the Odeon, Auckland
Friday 7th October - Arch Hill Recordings "Head for the Hill" compilation album release show, Dogs Bollix, Auckland
Saturday 8th October - Arch Hill Recordings "Head for the Hill" compilation album release show, Indigo, Wellington