Art & Entertainment | Book Reviews | Education | Entertainment Video | Health | Lifestyle | Sport | Sport Video | Search

 

Body Art Is Back…

Media Release: For Immediate Release

Body Art Is Back…

TO TRANSPORT AUDIENCES INTO A WORLD WHERE THE STRANGEST OF CHARACTERS COME TO LIFE

With visuals from last year’s awards that conjure up the works of Guillermo del Toro’s “Pan’s Labyrinth”, Japan’s Visual Kei movement and the tradition of tribal art, the NZ Body Art Awards looks to further push creative boundaries when it bursts into theatrical life on June 14 at the North Shore Events Centre for one public show only.

The spotlight will be on the art of special effects make-up, bodypainting, illusion and prosthetic techniques. The event will feature the industry’s most exciting artists and performers.

Now in their third successful year The Awards and showcase event are designed not only to promote this growing industry but to also “enhance a positive image for youth and graduates of this excitingly diverse art form” says founder and director Mem Bourke. The event also provides a platform for talented artists to seek employment overseas in the film and theatre industries.

Supported by North Shore City and in association with YouthTown, The 2008 Body Art Awards welcomes the head judge from Weta Workshop Studio’s director and five time Academy Award winner, Richard Taylor. “My compliments on such an invigorating and inspired concept. I am very pleased to see that someone has taken it on with such professionalism and respect to the artists.” says Taylor.

Public audiences can also witness advancements in special effect make-up, soon be seen on the big screen. Weta Workshops will no doubt be keeping an eye on the latest wave of talent they can pick for the ever blooming New Zealand film industry.

This year’s awards already have a Hollywood connection with acclaimed make-up artist, Howard Berger, visiting New Zealand as an Awards judge. Berger joins an esteemed panel of judges including film celebrities Temuera Morrison (to be confimed) and Lawrence Makoara, Weta Workshop’s Richard Taylor, David Minifie (Minifies Make-Up), Elizabeth Osborn (Top Mark Products), Frances Richardson (Make Up Supervisor at the Workshop) and Odel Toi (renowned Maori Master carver).

Since its inception the awards season looks to expand upon the number of artists involved in previous years. In its second year, the awards peaked from 40 artists to 76 and this year looks to have an expected close to 100 entries –40% of those professional while the remaining 60% students top of their studies. Audiences also lap up the visual spectacular and have doubled in size since the 2006 event premiere.

New Zealand Body Art Awards 2008
Saturday 14th June 2008, 7.30pm, North Shore Events Centre, Glenfield, North Shore
For more information visit www.bodyartawards.co.nz

BOOKINGS:
Table Seating Bookings available through NZ Body Art Awards Office. Enquiries to liz[at]bodyartawards.co.nz

Gallery Seating bookings through Ticketek. www.ticketek.co.nz or 0800 TICKETEK


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 
Review: A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet

The Royal New Zealand Ballet has accepted the challenge of this heart-touching tragedy and largely succeeded. More>>

ALSO:

NZ's First Male IAAF Gold: Tom Walsh's Historic Shot Put Victory

Although feeling very sore but with a great feeling Tom Walsh took his place as number one on the victory dais to receive his much deserved gold medal. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Review Of Books: Q&A: Hard To Find Books

"Unfortunately we are in crisis and this friendly dinosaur faces extinction… Our only hope is to try and raise funds to buy the building and restore it to its glory, either fully funded or with a viable deposit." More>>

Kid Lit: Lost Mansfield Story Discovered At Wellington Library

Previously undiscovered letters and a story written by a young Katherine Mansfield were recently unearthed in Wellington City Library’s archives by a local author researching a book about the famous writer. More>>

 
 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • CULTURE
  • HEALTH
  • EDUCATION