iD Fashion Show 09 comes alive
Thursday 4 December
iD Fashion Show 09
comes alive with NZ's next generation
Six graduates from the Otago Polytechnic School of Fashion have been chosen from a field of 23 to showcase their cutting edge collections at the 2009 Southern Trust iD Dunedin Fashion Show to be held at the historic Dunedin Railway Station on Saturday 14 March 2009.
- This year the event will celebrate its 10th birthday in what promises to be a week of truly magical proportions and an opportunity of a lifetime for the graduates to gain invaluable experience and launch their fashion careers
- Charlotte Hazlitt (22, Palmerston North), Nicole Hamilton (21, Nelson) , Meg Gallagher (21, Dunedin), Fiona Paine (24, Dunedin), Mason Tutbury (age 20, Auckland/Timaru) and Laura Marshall (21, Nelson) will show their collections as fully fledged designers alongside other established high profile New Zealand, emerging international and new generation designers
- Graduate selection panel comprised of fashion designer Tanya Carlson (Carlson), Dunedin fashion retailer Diann Waugh (Waughs) and modeling agency director Aliana McDaniel (Aliana McDaniel Agency)
- The Southern Trust iD Dunedin Fashion Show is a unique opportunity for these graduates to gain experience as future New Zealand designers, with access to some of the country's most sought after lighting and technical talent, professional models, makeup and hair stylists, backstage and front of house managers, topped off by the exceptionally creative event managers and directors, the media and support through the whole process.
- The Otago Polytechnic School of Fashion is renowned for helping to launch the careers of talented new designers. With the collaboration between the Polytechnic, other institutions, the city and the Dunedin Fashion Incubator (Dfi), it is increasingly becoming the destination of choice for gaining a strong foundation in design skills and practical experience needed to succeed in the fashion industry
- Recent graduates and now successful designers who have shown at iD include, Anjali Stewart, from 2005, designer and partner with successful label "twentysevennames", Shola Steele, from 2006, now working for Benetton's high end label Sisley in Italy and Abby van Schreven named FQ Young Designer of the Year in 2007, now based in Auckland with clothing label "Taylor"
- Watch out for further details on the 2009 Southern Trust iD Dunedin Fashion Week, participating designers, guest designers, judges, VIP's and Emerging Designer Award finalists, to be announced shortly
-Tanya Carlson, Fashion Designer www.tanyacarlson.co.nz
"This year the graduates selected are showing collections that are diverse, have a strong sense of personal style and are not highly referenced. They display individuality and have captured the 'spirit' of Dunedin fashion design. The collections will feature showpiece items with incredible catwalk appeal, a menswear range, and creative cutting edge designs which are representative of the training and support the students receive whilst studying in Dunedin."
-Fiona Paine, 24, (Dunedin) Otago Polytech Graduate
"My collection "Fair Ladies and Noble Chivalry" is inspired by man made armour and the protective qualities used by animals and investigates feminine roles. It contrasts feminine shapes with plastic inflatable skirts, against hard structured form using armour-like pieces made from leather. Being part of the iD show is fantastic publicity in a well-respected event and is a real asset on my CV. I'm currently based in Auckland and working on costume design projects."
-Nicole Hamilton, 21, (Nelson), Otago Polytech Graduate
"My collection "Reflection" is designed with luxurious fabrics, using silk velvet, silk tencil knit and silk georgette, with simplistic yet well constructed designs, making the wearer feel comfortable and independent. The collection incorporates a symbol and/ or shape on or within each piece, which represents my inspiration for the collection, my current environments, my family, friends, and my past, present and future 'universe'."
- Full biographies, images and more information available on request
- See the collections via Channel 9 footage
Emerging Fashion Designers Show How It's Done Here In Dunedin