Art & Entertainment | Book Reviews | Education | Entertainment Video | Health | Lifestyle | Sport | Sport Video | Search

 


Cautious First Step In Wof Reform Welcomed By NZFOMC

Media Release January 27 2013

Cautious First Step In Wof Reform Welcomed By NZFOMC

The NZ Federation of Motoring Clubs commends the Government for its cautious but positive first step to reduce the multi-million dollar costs imposed on motorists by the current WOF regime. “But retaining six monthly warrant checks for cars built before 2000 does nothing to curb the costs imposed on the large group of collectors and enthusiasts who preserve our heritage vehicles for the benefit of all New Zealanders,” says NZFOMC National Secretary Roy Hughes.

Even the Motor Trade Association agreed there should be an exemption from six monthly warrants for heritage and collector vehicles which usually only cover very low mileages each year and are often fully restored to as new condition or meticulously maintained by their owners, said Mr Hughes.

Most collectors own more than one heritage or special interest vehicle, and more than half are paying between $90 and $360 in WOF fees each year. A survey of FOMC members found just over 85 per cent reported none of their vehicles had failed an inspection in the last 12 months for brake, tyre or lighting related faults.

The majority of the respondents to the FOMC survey were in favour of 12 month WOFs for vehicles 30 years old and over. Less than 10 per cent supported retaining the current six monthly inspection regime, while 18 per cent favoured exempting heritage vehicles from WOF inspections altogether as is now the law for pre-1960 vehicles in the United Kingdom.

However the FOMC also commends the Government for leaving open avenues for further reforms to reduce the costs imposed on motorists, and will be taking advantage of the opportunity to suggest other ways the fees and charges imposed on car collectors can be curbed.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Snell Sale Peters Out: Singlet Withdrawn From Sale

“We believe the item was offered for sale in good faith, but our inquiries have shown that the singlet is not the one worn by Peter Snell at the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games.” More>>

ALSO:

Bodega: Venue Closing At The End Of The Year, After 25 Years Of Music

"It is with considerable sadness that, for reasons beyond our control, we regret to announce the closure of Bodega’s doors at the end of this year, after 25 years of faithful and committed service to live music in Wellington." More>>

Scoop Review Of Books: Women At The Centre

In the first chapter of her epic History of New Zealand Women, Barbara Brookes places a version of the Māori creation story alongside that of the Pākehā colonists, setting the scene for how each society saw women. The contrast is startling. More>>

In Auckland Art Gallery: A Tour Of Duty

I had already started my journey through the exhibited collections when an audio announcement about a guided tour to embark shortly from the foyer was made, I decided to join in. Why not? More>>

Art: ‘Holiday’ Wins IHC Art Awards

An intricate embroidered cushion by Wellington artist Jo-Anne Tapiki has won the 2016 IHC Art Awards and $5000. Jo-Anne started working from IHC’s Arts on High studio in Lower Hutt 18 months ago and this is the first time she has entered the competition. More>>

‘Quasi’: Christchurch Art Gallery Reveals Rooftop Sculpture

Christchurch-born and internationally renowned artist Ronnie van Hout has had a huge hand in Christchurch Art Gallery's latest outdoor installation. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Culture
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news