Recognition And Cash Prizes For Secondary School Art
18 February 2013
Recognition And Cash Prizes Available For Secondary School Art Students
Senior secondary school art students in the Waikato and Coromandel are getting the chance to show their creativity in a newly launched Excellence in Art Competition.
The competition is supported by newly formed regional arts organisation Creative Waikato and will be run by Paterson Burn Optometrists. The theme and title for the competition is ‘eyes are the window to your soul’.
Entries will be open today (18 February) and will close on 19 April. As well as cash prizes, the entering artists will have the opportunity to sell their work online with a percentage of the sale price being donated to Diabetes New Zealand. Artwork will also be displayed in Paterson Burn branches in Thames, Tokoroa, Cambridge, Te Awamutu and at the two Hamilton branches in Chartwell and Anglesea Street.
Senior partner Adrian Paterson says Paterson Burn Optometrists are pleased to be able to support the competition as part of its contribution to the community.
“We are a completely locally owned business, and we are always looking for ways to strengthen our community connection. We also believe this is a way to help celebrate creativity and a great opportunity for senior secondary school art students to get some limelight for their work”.
There will be $2000 available in cash prizes. Prize money will be split between students and their schools. Students who opt to put their artwork up for sale online will get to keep 80 percent of proceeds from any that is sold. The remaining 20 per cent will be donated to the Diabetes Foundation. Entry is free and is open to year 12 and year 13 students.
“We have had some encouraging feedback in support of the art competition and we are looking forward to seeing the entries. We expect to see most of them by early April,” says Adrian Paterson.
Artwork judging will take place in May with the competition awards evening being held at Creative Waikato in Alexandra Street on Friday 31 May. Competition details and entry forms are available through secondary school art departments or from the Paterson Burn website www.patersonburn.co.nz .