Valerie Adams competing in Auckland Tomorrow
Shot in the City - Valerie Adams competing in Auckland tomorrow
It’s hoped a big crowd will turn out to see New Zealand’s double Olympic champion Valerie Adams in action tomorrow at a rare international exhibition event in Auckland.
Valerie Adams will compete against a range of international and local athletes at The Cloud in Auckland. The event, known as ‘Shot in the City’, has free entry and is being run as part of the Pacific Showcase Market. It is inspired by Zurich’s ‘Big Shot’.
Valerie Adams says it’s a great way to open her season. “I’m pretty excited about it. Most of the time I’m in Europe, so it’s special to be able to compete in front of my own people. It’s going to be a fun family day, especially with the markets. I went to The Cloud yesterday and the setup is just awesome”.
Shot in the City is being backed by Sport New Zealand, Auckland Council and NZ Post.
Sport NZ Chief Executive Peter Miskimmin says it’s a great opportunity for Kiwis to see one of their true champions in action.
“Val is an international sports star, and her achievements should be celebrated by all of us. I hope people make the most of this rare chance to see her compete at home. I hope too that it inspires lots of other people to get involved in sport and recreation in a way that works for them,” he said.
Mayor of Auckland Len Brown says, “Valerie is an extraordinary ambassador for Auckland and a wonderful role model for our young people. We’re delighted to be able to host this event. I encourage Aucklanders to head down to the Cloud to see their double gold medallist in action and even have a go themselves.”
The Mayor will officially open the competition part of the event at 3:30pm.
New Zealand Post’s Group Sponsorship Manager Nicola Airey says, “The goal of our ActivePost initiative is to get more New Zealanders active, contributing to improved levels of health and wellness. Events like this are a great way to encourage them.”
The event will include male and female competitors, with the males using a heavier Shot.
Featured Competitors include:
• Valerie ADAMS (NZ, Olympic champion)
• Cleopatra BORREL BROWN - from Trinidad and Tobago (has thrown 19m plus)
• Scott MCLAREN – New Zealand decathlete
• Alex ROSE – Samoa, based in US
• Te Rina KEENAN, Siositina HAKEAI and Merewarihi VAKA – up and coming NZ throwers
• Matt BLOXHAM (16) – from Orewa College - has thrown over 18m with 5kg shot and qualified for world youth games
• 10am - doors open with the Pacific Showcase commencing.
• 10am and 12 noon - the public will be able to have a go at Shot Put
• 2.30pm - athletes begin warm-up
• 4pm - main competition will begin. Spectator viewing has been set up to allow the public to watch the competition, which will run for approximately one hour.