Auckland author scoops third at World Cookbook Awards
Auckland author scoops third with Bangers to Bacon book at the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2012
New Holland author, Jeremy Schmid, has won third place in the Best Single Subject category with his book, Bangers to Bacon, at the highly acclaimed Gourmand World Cookbook Awards 2012 in Paris.
In Bangers to Bacon: A New Zealand guide to making, cooking and using sausages and cured meat, chef, restaurateur and first-time author Jeremy Schmid shares his passion for sausage-making, with a step-by-step process for the home cook, honouring age-old traditions and natural ways of preparing meat using the freshest New Zealand ingredients.
New Holland’s Managing Director, Belinda Cooke, said of the win; “We’re immensely proud of Jeremy and thrilled to have his book sit alongside offerings from heavyweights of the culinary world, Japan and Italy. Thousands of titles are entered in these prestigious awards each year, and both New Holland and New Zealand have consistently achieved success, which speaks volumes for the quality of the cookbooks we are producing in this country. Bangers to Bacon had already been attracting interest from potential overseas co-edition publishers and this recognition can only assist us in those pursuits.”
With photography by Devin Hart and food styling by food writer and stylist Laura Faire, the talented young trio have produced something special, according to food writers:
“Jeremy Schmid has turned making sausages and cured meats into a simple step-by-step process, with delicious recipes to boot….His calm, clear instructions and step-by-step photographs makes all this seem do-able...” Catherine Smith, New Zealand Herald
“He includes comprehensive instructions for creating your own sausages, with step-by step photographs showing how to achieve that professional look. He also has easily achievable recipes from his restaurant menu that are bound to be family favourites. This exciting book is beautifully illustrated with photography by Devin Hart.” Lauraine Jacobs, NZ Listener
“This fabulous book from Two Fifteen chef-owner Jeremy Schmid covers the basics of sausage making, complete with step-by-step instructions and photos. Schmid has strong credentials – he attended the charcuterie course at the prestigious Culinary Institute of America.” Ginny Grant, Cuisine
Bangers to Bacon: A New Zealand
guide to making, cooking and using sausages and cured
By Jeremy Schmid, photography by Devin Hart, food styling by Laura Faire
270 mm x 215 mm – Extent: 160 pages – Binding: Paperback, RRP $45.00
Published August 2012
Notes to Editors:
- Winners in the category – Best Single Subject:
1. Japan – Sukiyaki, Sakafumi Matsumoto (Kazan)
2. Italy – Arancia, Carmelo Chiaramonte, Elvira Assenza (Estemporanee)
3. New Zealand – Banger to Bacon, Jeremy Schmid, (New Holland Publishers NZ)
- The Awards took place during the
gala evening event on February 22nd, 2013, before the
Cookbook Fair event, Friday 22nd – Sunday 24th
- Held at The Carrousel du Louvre, 99 rue de Rivoli, 75001 Paris.
- Overall awards submissions came from 171 countries.
- Four New Zealand titles scooped a place in the prestigious awards.
- Gourmand Magazine: To download the magazine with the winners: gourmand-magazine.com/download-past-issues/?logout=1
- cookbookfair.com/index.php/gourmand-awards and gourmand-magazine.com
- Jeremy’s bistro is in Mount Eden, Auckland, twofifteen.co.nz