Upstairs Art Gallery:Invitation to Pre:View
Upstairs Art Gallery - Your invitation to Pre:View and LOTS of other news
Last Days …
Once Was Mud
Titirangi Potters 18th Annual
On public display until 3.00pm THIS Saturday 28th September 2013.
Brand new works from brand new (and more experienced) potters
On Site …
Richard Naylor will be on-site at the gallery THIS Saturday 25th September, demonstrating clay hand-building.
Don’t miss the opportunity to chat with him and watch him work.
Over at Westpac …
A mini exhibition of the latest selection of works by TCAC Emerging Artist Award Winner - Linda Dixon is now on display at Westpac on Great North Road, New Lynn (opposite Lynn Mall, beside Dick Smith).
Please direct your queries through to us here at the gallery on 827-8020 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
You Are Invited …
Pre:View – a space for faith
The latest works of Elam graduate Hannah Turner.
A multimedia body of work exploring a
space between the tangible and the intangible.
Opening celebration NEXT Thursday, 3rd October (6-7:30pm), exhibition open daily until 3pm Saturday 26th October.
Everyone is welcome!
We’re open until 7pm – and the New Lynn Night Food Markets will be open (5:30-7pm).
There’s car parking behind the gallery
– or you can take advantage of the reduced rate of
$1 for parking in the new Totara Health
Who’s Keen At Short Notice ? ...
When New Lynn lights up at night it’s magic!
Are you interested in meeting here TONIGHT at the gallery at 7pm –when it’s dark – with your camera, mobile phone, picture taking aparatus – and join us for an hour of wandering and clicking.
The New Lynn Business Association is running a photography competition on their facebook page – amateurs, pro’s and ‘snap-shotters’ (like me) are all encouraged to load up a photo and grab a chance at sharing in the prize kitty of over $1000. One you’ve uploaded you photo – your mission is to get your friends (and the rest of the planet) to ‘like’ it on the NLBA facebook page.
There are only a couple of days left to enter. Click here to email me and let me know if you want to join us…. Heads up – I know NOTHING about photography. You need to bring you own skills :).
Your Support Please
As you know we’ve been talking for a while now about operating 2 galleries under the governance of the Titirangi Community Arts Council. We’re excited to be returning to Lopdell House early in the new year, and as an arts council we’d like to also manage a gallery in New Lynn. The two locations serve different audiences – Titirangi is a tourist & recreational destination and New Lynn is the heart of a rapidly expanding CBD. There’s great potential for having an arts presence in both places. We’ve had fantastic community response with increasing visitor and membership numbers, and increasing requests for exhibition space by community groups and artists. You’ll agree - there is never enough space for art!
As a not-for-profit charity we have to start by letting the local Whau board know how much we’re appreciated in New Lynn, so we’re asking if you’d take a minute to email in a brief note of support that says where you reside, and how you find the New Lynn gallery valuable. The gallery is a community resource and the community needs to speak out for it to be secured. So for our first step, we’ll gather your emails and present them to the newly elected Whau Board as soon as we can.
Click here to email us direct. Thanks in advance for your support.
• Kauri Consciousness. Presented by Ruby Oakley. A series of 5 collagraphs and litho prints exploring the significance of Kauri. 1-29 September. Arataki Visitors Centre. Scenic Drive. Waitakere. Auckland.
• Follow The Spiral. An exhibition of new paintings by Louise Taylor. West Coast Gallery, Seaview Rd, Piha. Exhibition runs 21st Sept-20th Oct 2013
• Great Expectations IV. Clay The Humble Medium. 26 Sep – 27 Oct. Estuary Arts Centre. Hibiscus Coast. Click here for details.
• In Line With … Brendan Moran, Lily Andersen, Reem Nabhani, Veronica Herber. 11 September – 5th October. Antoinette Godkin Gallery. Click here for details.
Calls To Artists
• Last days to enter the Destination New Lynn Photo Competition. Upload your photo to facebook and be in to win your share of over $1000 cash. Entries have been low so far – Don’t miss out. Click here to view more info on their facebook page. Runs for the month of September.
• ImPressive IV Print Exhibition. Nathan Homestead Manurewa. Registrations close 14 October. Click here for more details.
• Affordable Art Show 2013. Corban Estate Arts Centre. Registrations close 25th October. Click here for more details.
• The Cemetary Club. Directed by Linda Pudney. At the Waiatarua Community Hall. From 25 September – 5 October. Phone 814-1850 or click here for further details.
• Hamlet. The greatest play the world has ever seen returns to Auckland City. 3-8 October. Galatea Theatre presents: Hamlet by William Shakespeare, at 7.30 pm, Musgrove Studio, Maidment Theatre, cnr Alfred & Princes St, Auckland City. Directed by John Goudge. Telephone bookings and enquiries: (09) 308 2383, or click here. Book early - we anticipate this season will sell out. Cast includes: Calum Gittins (as Hamlet), Wayne Coreham, Anna Stillaman, Terry Hooper, Indigo Paul, Alex MacDonald, Stuart Shacklock, Regan Crummer, Ian Harvey, Mike Borgfeldt, Mark Huston, Venetia Verner and Brendan Lovell. Designed by Tracey van Lent. Produced by Geoff Allen, Director of Auckland University 2014 Outdoor Shakespeare. Tuesday 8 October: two-for-one tickets! Enter the promo code DANE towards the final stages of booking to get two tickets for the price of one. Available only when booking full price adult tickets for Tuesday 8 October. For school bookings, please contact the Ticketing Co-ordinator. Schools can ask for Q & A time after performances.... I'm already booked for this one! My first time to see Shakespeare. Love the script - I'm really looking forward to it - you'll see me there on the 9th October.
• Artisans In Avondale Arts & Crafts Market is a collaboration of Arts, Vendors and crafts people coming together to sell and show there items in the charming historic setting of St Ninians Church hall. Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th. 10-3pm. Click here to visit their facebook page.
• Titirangi Village Market is on THIS Sunday 29th.
• Spring Fling Festival Of Arts. Hosted by the West Coast Gallery, Piha. From Saturday 28 September – Saturday 2nd November. Click here to check out the exciting programme of workshops, events and exhibitions.
• Auckland Heritage Festival. 28th September – 13th October. Click here for programme details.
• Artstation Open Day. On Friday 4th October (4-7pm), Artstation will be opening it’s doors for people to learn more about the planned changes and to better understand the spaces available to hire. People can register interest in attending this open day by clicking here to email Artstation or calling 376-3221. They look forward to receiving your innovative ideas and to talking with you more about your projects and programmes. Please don’t hesitate to pass this information to anyone you think may be interested in working and playing at Ponsonby’s new creative precinct.
• La Rosa Garden Reserve Opening Celebration. Celebrate your community and council efforts to daylight and rehabilitate the Waitahurangi and Parahiku streams running through La Rosa Garden Reserve. Saturday 19th October – 10-3:30pm. 10 La Rosa Street. Green Bay. For more info, contact Gabriela on 826-0554.
• Titirangi Festival of Music Encore Series. 11-19 October. Click here for programme details.
Kids Gift Making Wish List 2013 for this year’s Kids Gift making event at Corban Estate Arts Centre. As always your donations of resources are much needed. If you are interested in volunteering or donating please contact Eilis Galuszewski, Arts Technician at CEAC by phoning 838-4455. CARDBOARD – cereal boxes nothing smaller. NEWSPAPER – any clean newspaper. COLLAGE – magazines, coloured paper anything else for collage. Ribbons. Fabric pieces and strips (any old colourful curtains with the lining will be great). Tissue paper. Cellophane. Broken jewellery. Beads. Kauri leaves. Seed pods eg kowhai seeds. Clean Empty Tetra pak boxes – please rinse these out first. Wool. Coloured cord. Lace. String. Clean mussel shells. Buttons. Plastic bags. Clean plastic bottles eg water pump and other cylindrical water bottles They can be 1 -2 litre empty clear or cloudy plastic. Clear plastic food containers.
Beadaholic closing sale. Click here for details.
Local Elections … Lets make sure we have good local decision makers. Your vote is VERY important! Please find the time to read your candidate information booklet that came with your papers in the post – you don’t have to vote for the full quantities given – just those you want to represent you. You need to post it back by October 12th at midday. Click here to view the candidate info site.
Click here to catch up on McCahon House Trust
Click here for the latest copy of online magazine Gallery36
Click here for Gordon Harris' latest offerings.
Click here to see what's on at Lopdell House Gallery - off site.
Click here to see what's on at Corban Estate Arts Centre.