It’s the New Year and time to recharge
Monday 6 January 2014
It’s been a full-on year for many New Zealanders. As we head into 2014, Skylight, a charitable trust which supports those going through change, grief, loss and trauma, have put together some tips to recharge the batteries, reduce stress and prepare for the year ahead. Here are our top tips for a new you in the New Year:
• Turn off the phone, computer, TV and iPad whenever you can.
• Get away from noise – take time to have some silence.
• Spend time with family and friends.
• Steer clear of stressful situations as much as you can. Look after you!
• Don’t multi-task – aim to do just one thing at a time.
• Get into nature as much as you can – go for a lovely walk or bike ride or swim in the sea.
• Sit or lie in the grass or in the sand whenever you can. There are so many beautiful places in New Zealand to sit, relax and enjoy the moment.
• Be kind to yourself, don’t push yourself too hard or too fast to do more – encourage yourself to slow down and have some balance in your life.
• Avoid having appointments for a while; ease yourself back into a regular routine after the holidays.
• Give sleep a priority, don’t make it an afterthought.
• Move as much as you can and make activity an easy, fun, daily event in your life.
• Eat healthy food, especially if you have over-indulged during the festive season. Eating lots of fruits and vegetables will make you feel great.
• Steer clear of too much alcohol, and if you smoke, now is a great time to plan to give up.
• Laugh out loud – and often and just have some fun.
• Take the time to breathe slowly, relax and stretch. Don’t rush things. You might even like to do some yoga or meditation.
• Be grateful for the good things in your life.
• Spend time with family, friends and people who make you feel happy.
• Have fun with pets where you can.
• Read for pleasure.
Don’t feel guilty for doing nothing. Properly recharging your batteries is 100% essential to keeping well and being able to live life to the fullest