Art & Entertainment | Book Reviews | Education | Entertainment Video | Health | Lifestyle | Sport | Sport Video | Search

 


Smith Makes it Two In a Row

Smith Makes it Two In a Row

JANUARY 14, 2014: With two wins from two starts, Mokau’s Adrian Smith is fast heading towards a successful defence of his Bel Ray Cross-country Championships title.

The 27-year-old New Zealand cross-country champion won the Bel Ray series last season, making him an obvious favourite to repeat the feat in 2014, and after two of four rounds thus far this season, it seems a safe bet that he will hold onto the No.1 number plate.

Smith took his Blackwood BikesportNZ.com Yamaha YZ250 to win the dusty series opener near Huntly in December, leading home Raglan’s national cross-country No.2 Jason Dickey, and it was a virtual carbon copy of that with his win at round two near Huntly on Sunday. 

Points are counted from only three of the four rounds and that means the South Waikato sheep and beef farmer is possibly just one race away from wrapping it up for 2014.

Dickey finished the six-lap, two-hour marathon nearly two minutes behind Smith on Sunday, with Hamilton’s Andrew Charleston, Rotorua’s Scott Birch, Pukekawa’s Craig Brown and Te Awamutu’s Mark Penny rounding out the top six. 

“The track was well set-up and I really enjoyed it,” said Smith afterwards. “The course had steep sections, tight stuff and plenty of areas that flowed. It had a bit of everything really.

“Jason had a crash while chasing me and that caused him to drop back a bit, but, when I came in to the pits to refuel, he swept past me. I caught him again about half a lap later and managed to retake the lead.”

Smith saved his best for last; producing the day’s four fastest lap times over the final four laps and creating a safe winning margin.

Charleston put in a late charge too, passing Penny, Brown and Birch on the last lap to secure the final podium position.

“He (Charleston) is riding really well at the moment. He’s only a youngster and I think he’ll be a real threat to me in the future,” said Smith.

In the 90-minute junior race staged earlier in the day, Pukekawa’s Isaac Clark won ahead of Te Kuiti’s Sean Kelly and Raglan’s Jaan Anderson.

Round three of the Bel Ray series is set for Waikaretu, in North Waikato, on February 9.

The Bel Ray series is a stand-alone competition, but is also an ideal warm-up for the nationals which begin next month.

The four-round New Zealand Cross-country Championships kick off in the Taranaki region on February 16, with rounds to follow in Huntly, Westland and Marlborough.

Words and photo by Andy McGechan, www.BikesportNZ.com

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

TV3 Video: Auckland Arts Festival Kicks Off

The Auckland Arts Festival kicks off March 4, with artists from New Zealand and all over the world on show. More>>

ALSO:

Te Matatini: Minister Applauds National Kapa Haka Festival

Education Minister Hekia Parata wishes the best of luck to everyone involved in this week’s national kapa haka festival, Te Matatini, in Christchurch. “Te Matatini showcases the very best of Māori performing arts talent. It’s a celebration of identity, language and culture at the highest level and I’m looking forward to being amongst it,” says Ms Parata. More>>

ALSO:

Kiwi Pride: Accolades For Film About Man Who Falls In Love With A Stick

A short animated film written and directed by New Zealand born Matthew Darragh has been selected for the Courts des îles, International Festival of Short Fiction Films. More>>

ALSO:

Anniversaries: Vivid Memories Four Years After Christchurch Quake

Four years ago, an earthquake that would change the lives of thousands shook Christchurch at 12.51 p.m. More>>

ALSO:

Environment 'n' Conservation: Slash Meets Tāne The Tuatara

Rock and Roll superstar and former Guns 'n' Roses guitarist Slash visited Zealandia Ecosanctuary along with collaborating band Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators. More>>

Canterbury Quakes: Feedback Sought On Short-Listed Memorial Designs

Six short-listed designs for the Canterbury Earthquake Memorial have been released for public input... The Memorial will honour the victims of Canterbury’s earthquakes and acknowledge the suffering of all those who lived through them as well as the heroism of those who participated in the rescue and recovery operations. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Culture
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news