Finalists Announced For NZ's Favourite 2013 Sporting Moment
13 JANUARY 2014
Finalists Announced For New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment of 2013
Voting begins for people’s choice category at Westpac Halberg Awards
Ten sports highlights from 2013 have been announced today for the ‘New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment’ award, the only category voted for by the public at the Westpac Halberg Awards.
Rugby, golf, basketball, yachting, motorsport, rugby league and softball all feature in the list of sporting moments from 2013. The award gives the New Zealand public a chance to vote for the ‘country’s most exciting, remarkable, or compelling sporting moment, game or series in 2013’.
Basketball star Steven Adams being drafted into the NBA, the Chiefs winning back to back Super Rugby titles, golfer Lydia Ko turning professional at just 16 and the NZ Breakers winning the Australian National Basketball League for the third straight year are all in line for the gong.
Moments that gripped the nation including All Black Ryan Crotty’s last gasp try against Ireland, Emirates Team New Zealand almost capsizing during the America’s Cup and Shaun Johnson’s final try during the Rugby League World Cup semi-final have also made the finalist list.
Kiwi sports fans can vote for their choice of 'New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment’ once a day by text message or online through the SKY Sport and Radio Sport websites. The award winner will be announced at the 51st Westpac Halberg Awards on February 13 at Vector Arena in Auckland.
Halberg Disability Sport Foundation CEO Geoff Burgess says New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment is all about Kiwis having their say.
“This award gives sports fans the opportunity to honour the athletes and teams who created the defining sports highlights of 2013. The finalists list features some memorable moments which captured the nation’s attention and passion for sport,” says Burgess.
The finalists were selected by a panel of media representatives who compiled the list of great sporting moments from 2013 for the public to vote on.
The full list of 2013 New Zealand’s
Favourite Sporting Moment finalists
1. The New Zealand Black Sox winning the Softball World Championship
2. The SKYCITY Breakers winning their third straight Australian National Basketball League Championship
3. Steven Adams being drafted by the Oklahoma City Thunder in the NBA draft lottery
4. The Chiefs winning back to back Super Rugby titles
5. Emirates Team New Zealand nearly capsizing in Race 9 of the America's Cup
6. The All Blacks recording an epic test victory over South Africa at Ellis Park
7. Golfer Lydia Ko turns professional at just 16 years of age
8. Scott Dixon winning the 2013 IndyCar title
9. Shaun Johnson’s last minute try that helped the Kiwis beat England in the Rugby League World Cup semi final
10. Ryan Crotty's last-gasp try against Ireland which secured the All Blacks perfect season.
How to vote:
Voting is now open for the New Zealand’s Favourite Sporting Moment award. You can vote once a day from now until 9.00pm onThursday, February 13, 2014.
Vote at www.skysport.co.nz or www.radiosport.co.nz or www.sportingmoments.co.nz
Text your Favourite Sporting Moment’s unique code to 455:
1. Black Sox txt Sm1 to 455
2. SKYCITY Breakers txt Sm2 to 455
3. Steven Adams txt Sm3 to 455
4. Chiefs txt Sm4 to 455
5.Emirates Team New Zealand txt Sm5 to 455
6. All Blacks defeat South Africa at Ellis Park txt Sm6 to 455
7.Lydia Ko txt Sm7 to 455
8. Scott Dixon txt Sm8 to 455
9. Kiwis Shaun Johnson’s try to beat England txt Sm9 to 455
10.All Black Ryan Crotty's try against Ireland txt Sm10 to 455
Texts cost 20c on Vodafone and Telecom, 8c on Skinny Mobile and 9c on 2Degrees.
Everyone who votes in the New Zealand Favourite Sporting Moment award goes in the draw to win a trip for two including flights and accommodation to the 51st Westpac Halberg Awards at the Vector Arena, Auckland on Thursday 13 February 2014. Visitwww.sportingmoments.co.nz to read the competition terms & conditions.