Art & Entertainment | Book Reviews | Education | Entertainment Video | Health | Lifestyle | Sport | Sport Video | Search

 


Flood of Support for Taste of Auckland 2014

Flood of Support for Taste of Auckland 2014

Taste of Auckland organiser Rob Eliott of Lemongrass Productions says that the company has received a flood of positive support since it was announced the festival may need to move from the Victoria Park venue.

On Tuesday evening the Waitemata Board voted to restrict Victoria Park to events of no more than five days tenancy, and in doing so, have excluded Taste. Last year the festival attracted a host of the city’s leading restaurants and over 23,000 visitors to the area. Taste of Auckland is currently the largest festival of it’s kind in New Zealand and part of the international series of Taste Festivals taking place in 10 locations from London to Dubai, Cape Town to Melbourne. It would now take the Mayors Office to negotiate a compromise for the event to return to the park.

“In passing this decision the Local Board not only dislodges this much loved festival from the area, but they also turned down our offer of $50,000 over five years to upgrade the park to an automated irrigation system which would have benefited all park users and helped mitigate event impacts,” says Eliott.
“The Chair of the Waitemata Board acknowledged the irrigation upgrade was something they were likely to do within two years. Ratepayers will now need to cover that $50,000 contribution.

“It is a shame that of all the Waitemata Board members, only Greg Moyle and Rob Thomas were able to see the benefits to the wider community an event like Taste represents,” says Eliott.

In recent developments, yesterday the CEO of Auckland Tourism Events and Economic Development, Brett O’Riley reassured Lemongrass Productions of its support for Taste of Auckland, recognising it as an important major event for Auckland under the ATEED portfolio and suggesting alternative venue options.

In addition, a flood of support has been received, from long time supporter of Taste, Heart of the City CEO Alex Swney, as well as from sponsors, exhibitors and many previous festival visitors, who have commented on the Facebook page.

“We have had offers from other local boards in Auckland and from venue operators around the country. It has been reassuring to be reminded of the very solid backing that Taste has built up and we are now focused on working through some exciting venue options for the 2014 event,” says Eliott.

With Taste of Sydney starting today and Taste of Perth recently confirmed, the Taste network continues grow stronger and Taste of Auckland is better placed than ever to retain its standing as a world-class event for the city.

The dates of Taste of Auckland 2014 remain as Thursday November 13 to Sunday November 16 and Lemongrass Productions will announce another venue update once arrangements with ATEED and other stakeholders have concluded.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Kiwi Pride: Accolades For Film About Man Who Falls In Love With A Stick

A short animated film written and directed by New Zealand born Matthew Darragh has been selected for the Courts des îles, International Festival of Short Fiction Films. More>>

ALSO:

Anniversaries: Vivid Memories Four Years After Christchurch Quake

Four years ago, an earthquake that would change the lives of thousands shook Christchurch at 12.51 p.m. More>>

ALSO:

Environment 'n' Conservation: Slash Meets Tāne The Tuatara

Rock and Roll superstar and former Guns 'n' Roses guitarist Slash visited Zealandia Ecosanctuary along with collaborating band Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators. More>>

Foo Fighters: Exclusive Show In Support Of Music Foundation

Frontier Touring has today announced that the Foo Fighters will play a last minute intimate and exclusive benefit show at the Auckland Town Hall this Friday February 20 with all profits going to The New Zealand Music Foundation. More>>

ALSO:

Canterbury Quakes: Feedback Sought On Short-Listed Memorial Designs

Six short-listed designs for the Canterbury Earthquake Memorial have been released for public input... The Memorial will honour the victims of Canterbury’s earthquakes and acknowledge the suffering of all those who lived through them as well as the heroism of those who participated in the rescue and recovery operations. More>>

ALSO:

Celia Lashlie: Legacy Will Live On

Social justice advocate Celia Lashlie leaves a legacy that will continue to have a positive impact on the lives of New Zealanders for years to come, Labour Leader Andrew Little says. “Celia was a powerful voice for reason, sense and compassion. Her work, particularly with teenage boys, was ground-breaking." More>>

ALSO:

Obituary: Sad Farewell To PPTA Activist Robin Duff

Duff has been a long-time fixture of the association... Most recently Duff has been working hard to support Canterbury teachers through the quakes that devastated the region. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Culture
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news