10 reasons why a cat is better than a boyfriend
10 reasons why a cat is better than a boyfriend
Single? Looking for the perfect partner? SPCA Auckland has way too many cats on its books right now so the charity has come up with 10 good reasons why adopting a cat is better than finding a boyfriend.
1. Cats love you unconditionally. When you come home tired at the end of a hard day, your cat will trill with pleasure, wind itself around your legs, and purr like a lawnmower at your touch (even after you’ve fed it).
2. Cats are great in bed. As sleeping companions, that is. If you want to stretch out and your cat is in the way, it will simply move to accommodate you. They don’t snore. They don’t steal the covers. And purring is one of the most comforting, sleep-inducing sounds in the world.
3. Cats don’t care what you wear. If you want to slob around the house in baggy trackpants and an extra-large T-shirt that reads “Keep calm and eat chocolate”, that’s just fine with your feline friend.
4. Cats like a good night in. If you really can’t be bothered going out, your cat won’t try to drag you to the pub. In fact, it will welcome the opportunity to join you on the couch for a cuddle and a scratch behind the ears.
5. Cats accept you as
you are. So you haven’t been to the gym in
months, you desperately need a waxing, and you’ve broken
every one of your New Year’s resolutions. Who cares? Your
cat certainly won’t.
6. Cats are great listeners. You can pour out your troubles to your cat and it won’t roll its eyes or suggest a range of unpalatable solutions. Chatting with your cat in a soothing tone actually helps it feel comforted and relaxed so it’s a win-win for all concerned.
7. Cats let you choose the TV channel. They don’t really care what you watch on telly, certainly won’t demand to watch sport, and will most likely just curl up in your lap for a kip.
8. Cats don’t care what you eat. Feel like eating your bodyweight in ice cream? Go ahead – your cat won’t give you a hard time about it.
9. Cats can purr. And boyfriends can’t. In return for a few strokes and a tickle under the chin, your cat will produce one of the most soothing and calming sounds in the universe. Even Mr Right can’t do that.
10. Cats are soft, clean, and smell nice. Boyfriends can be all of these things but not all the time. Cats are. If your boyfriend spent as much time grooming themselves as the average cat things might be different. But until then, a cat is a cleaner, fluffier, sweeter-smelling option.
“Cats are amazing creatures that give back to their human companions much more than they demand,” says Christine Kalin, CEO of SPCA Auckland. “Cats are the world’s most common domestic pet and it’s easy to see why. They’re cuddly, affectionate, and independent of spirit – so you get all the advantages of living with a loving yet low-maintenance companion animal.
“And there’s more good news: when you adopt a cat or kitten from SPCA Auckland, you get a ‘ready-made pet’ that has been vet checked, de-sexed, micro-chipped, wormed, treated for fleas, and has had its initial vaccinations. It’s the most cost-effective way of getting a pet. Plus the money you pay us goes directly to saving other animals. With a big range of cats available for adoption at the SPCA Auckland Animal Village right now, this is the perfect time to give a fabulous feline a forever home.”
10 top cats available for adoption right now
(HIGHER RES IMAGES AVAILABLE)
1 1. BOBBY is a little action man who adores your company, a quick cuddle, and playing with string.
2. CARSON is more the independent type, he’s a sociable guy and loves to chat. He will also be happy to share you with other cats.
3. LEOPARD is a confident, friendly, and sociable little guy. He is a great companion cat who loves human company. He will happily chat away with you and follow you around.
4. PRESTON is the guy for you if you’re looking to shower him with your love. He’s a little shy so will take a little time to trust and come out of his shell – but he is worth the wait.
5. ROONIE is a lovable, huggable fellow who would love nothing more than to smooch up next to you. His loving and gentle nature will make him a well-loved pet.
6. TOM is a real sweetheart and a mature gent. He is quietly chatty and likes to be a constant companion. You have to meet Tom in person to truly appreciate his awesome nature.
7. ANNIE is a friendly and independent lady who loves being brushed and groomed. She is confident and sociable.
8. ELIZA is a beautiful independent girl who loves life outdoors. Her new owner will need to help her adapt and settle into her new home.
9. GABBY is a friendly girl with beautiful green eyes, who loves tickles around her ears.
10. XENA is a sweet chatty girl but she’s not a fan of dogs, so she needs to go to a dog-free household.
Cats and kittens available for adoption can be viewed at the SPCA Auckland Animal Village, 50 Westney Rd, Mangere, between 10.00am and 4.00pm every day, or visit spca.org.nz.