Art & Entertainment | Book Reviews | Education | Entertainment Video | Health | Lifestyle | Sport | Sport Video | Search

 


Future stars of world rugby experience best of Auckland

28 May 2014

Future stars of world rugby experience the best of Auckland

The world’s best young rugby players are swapping tackling and passing for sailing, seafood cooking and SkyJumping ahead of the IRB Junior World Championship 2014.

The future stars of world rugby – 336 players in 12 teams – arrived in Auckland this week for the seventh IRBJunior World Championship, which kicks off on Monday 2 June.

All of the 12 teams have taken the opportunity to enjoy an Auckland activity, starting with Samoa, who tried out their culinary skills with a lesson at Auckland Seafood School.

England and Wales opted for action on the water today, with the Welsh team experiencing a thrilling jetboat ride on Auckland’s Waitemata Harbour. The English team followed in the footsteps of the Prince and Duchess of Cambridge with a sailing trip on an ex-America’s Cup yacht. The royals raced on the same yacht during their tour of New Zealand last month.

Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) Chief Executive Brett O’Riley says these activities are the ultimate way to welcome the teams and show them the best of Auckland.

“We know from past experience that giving visiting sports teams an authentic Auckland experience is a great way to leave a lasting impression. Their activities will feature in the international broadcast viewed in 144 countries worldwide,” he says.

Over the coming weeks other teams will enjoy a range of activities, including a Māori cultural performance at Auckland Museum, golf at a scenic Auckland course and a trip to Waiheke Island.

During their stay each of the twelve competing teams – Argentina, Australia, England, Italy, Fiji, France, Ireland, Wales, Samoa, Scotland, South Africa and New Zealand – will also visit a range of community groups, schools and rugby clubs in a series of activities right across Auckland.

Eden Park will host three matches, including the final on Friday 20 June 2014 at 7.35pm, with all other matches including semi-finals to be played at QBE Stadium North Harbour and Ecolight Stadium Pukekohe. Matches will be played on 2, 6, 10, 15 and 20 June.

Hosting the IRB Junior World Championship in New Zealand has been made possible through the significant support provided by the Government (through the Major Events Development Fund) and ATEED, on behalf of Auckland Council, which each invested $1.45m in the tournament.

336 players in 12 teams will be vying for the right to be called the best Under 20 team in the world when the seventh IRB Junior World Championship (JWC2014) kicks off in New Zealand on 2 June 2014.
• 30 matches to be played from 2-20 June 2014
• Eden Park to host the final on Friday 20 June at 7.35pm
• Low ticket prices – all three pool matches on one day priced from $5 for children, $10 for adults

For more information visit www.aucklandnz.com/events/listing/irb-junior-world-championship-2014

ATEED (Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development) is Auckland’s economic growth agency.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

TV3 Video: NZ Praised For Sportsmanship After Cricket World Cup Final Loss

New Zealand may have been outplayed in the Cricket World Cup final by Australia, but received praise worldwide for their graciousness in defeat. More>>

ALSO:

Earlier:

Werewolf: Finding Love In Hell

Will it really be 25 years in May since David Lynch’s Wild at Heart won big at Cannes, nabbing no less than the Palme d’Or? Amazing but true, and yet the film that was briefly Lynch’s most feted, now seems to be his most forgotten. More>>

ALSO:

Cricket: Dramatic Win Puts Black Caps In Finals

In Parliament: When Parliament resumed at 2pm the House passed a motion on a voice vote admiring the performance of the New Zealand cricket team in last night’s World Cup semi-final and wishing them well for the final on the weekend. More>>

ALSO:

Moon Shot/Kills Switch: The X Factor Judges Removed

MediaWorks has today decided that Natalia Kills and Willie Moon are no longer suitable to judge The X Factor and have removed them from the show. MediaWorks CEO, Mark Weldon, said that last night on The X Factor both Kills and Moon made comments that were completely unacceptable. More>>

ALSO:

Tessa Nichol: Up Up & Away In The Wairarapa

It’s an overcast morning in the Wairarapa but the mood on the ground in Carterton’s Carrington Park is anything but grey. More than 20 hot air balloons are getting ready to take off into the cloudy sky to mark the start of this year’s Wairarapa Balloon Festival. More>>

Golden Shears: Scotsman Wins Golden Shears Open Final

A Scottish shearer who settled in New Zealand to farm in Taranaki has become the first shearer from overseas to win the Golden Shears Open Shearing Championship. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Culture
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news