Art & Entertainment | Book Reviews | Education | Entertainment Video | Health | Lifestyle | Sport | Sport Video | Search

 


Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines confirmed for 2015

Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines confirmed for 2015

The Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines, which played to sellout crowds earlier this year, will return in 2015.

The NRL, Duco Events and Auckland Tourism Events and Economic Development (ATEED) announced today that the Nines will be held at Eden Park on 31 January and 1 February, 2015.

All 16 NRL teams will enter the tournament which carries prize money of more than $AU2.4 million. And the size of each squad has been increased from 16 to 18 – enabling teams to rotate more players and provide them with longer rest periods.

The teams, which have nine players, are split into four groups and play nine minute halves.

The top two teams from each group advance to the knockout stage of the tournament with the two top teams playing in the final.

The inaugural tournament this year, won by the North Queensland Cowboys, was played in front of a crowd of nearly 90,000 over the two days.

NRL Head of Commercial, Paul Kind said the Nines is a fun and spectacular way of playing rugby league.

“The atmosphere this year was absolutely brilliant and saw thousands of Australians travel to New Zealand for the events first year.

“Not only does it produce great football but it brings enormous economic benefits to New Zealand.”

A post-event independent evaluation of the 2014 event, undertaken by Fresh Info Co, released in June found that this year’s tournament expanded Auckland’s GDP by $9.35 million, of which $3.24 million came into the New Zealand economy from offshore.

It attracted 16,000 New Zealanders from outside Auckland in addition to the 6,000 Australians who crossed the Tasman to watch the Nines.

Auckland Mayor, Len Brown said the Nines provided outstanding entertainment for league fans and superb economic returns for Auckland in 2014.

“Event organisers will once again transform Eden Park into a rugby league playground, and the Nines is set to become a very special event in Auckland’s major events landscape”, he said.

The tournament was globally recognised at the prestigious SportBusiness International Awards in London last April.

Dick Smith CEO, Mr Nick Abboud spoke about sponsoring Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines for the second year running.

“This year fans and families really embraced this great Nine's concept and enjoyed the tournament,” Abboud said.

“Seeing Eden Park filled for two days with over 90,000 fans was just amazing, and Dick Smith are delighted to be naming rights partner of the event again and look forward to growing the concept in years to come.”

Duco Events Director David Higgins urged fans to put their names on the Ticketek waiting list to secure seats to the 2015 tournament.

“We expect huge demand for next year’s event and, by using the waiting list, fans can be notified when different categories of tickets go on sale.”

Event travel packages will go on-sale in Australia from Monday September 8 through Sportsnet Holidays.

Tickets will go on sale to the general public from October 9.

Len Brown is confident the Nines will be a real highlight of Auckland’s series of blockbuster events next summer.

“Given the success of the 2014 event, we expect to see visitors travel from Australia, one of our key tourism markets to enjoy a long weekend in Auckland where they can see for themselves that the show never stops in Auckland,” said Len Brown.

Key Facts:
The Dick Smith NRL Auckland Nines is a live 31 game two-day Rugby League extravaganza

• 16 NRL teams with 288 players competing
• Star players are contractually guaranteed
• Squad size has increased from 16 – 18 players per team to rotate more players and provide longer rest periods
• Teams will be made up of nine players across four pools of four
• AU$2.4 million dollars in prize money
• A crowd of more than 90,000 expected over two days

The tournament is thanks to a partnership between the NRL and New Zealand’s Duco Events, and sponsors ATEED and Dick Smith.

ATEED is the foundation host city sponsor, on behalf of Auckland Council and will invest $NZ 9 million over five years as part of Auckland’s Major Events Strategy, while Dick Smith is also on board through to 2018.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: Classics - Tales From Moominvalley
Can’t speak for the reading end of it but the Moomins ( or maybe the story about Margaret Wise Brown) were the most enjoyable subject to think about and write about during these whole first 50 issues of Werewolf. For that reason – and because the Moomins always reward re-reading – I’ve decided to reprint it. The only added element is a link to an interesting hour long documentary about Tove Jansson. More>>

ALSO:

Repping In The Pacific: All Blacks And Manu Samoa To Play Historic Apia Test

The All Blacks will play Manu Samoa in Apia on Wednesday 8 July next year as part of both teams’ preparations for Rugby World Cup 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Monarchy: Duke And Duchess Of Cambridge Are Expecting Second Child

Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting their second child. More>>

ALSO:

2015: Elton John Plans Wellington Show

After nine years, Elton John and his band will return to Westpac Stadium, Wellington for one spectacular concert! The November 21, 2015 concert will feature iconic hits and classic album tracks from throughout his incredible five-decade career... More>>

Book Awards: Jill Trevelyan's Story Of Peter McLeavey Is Book Of The Year

The story of Wellington art dealer Peter McLeavey and his gallery has won the prestigious New Zealand Post Book of the Year 2014 in a glittering ceremony in Wellington. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Review Of Books: King Richard

Simon Nathan reviews 'Richard Seddon, King of God’s Own': My father grew up in Wellington during Seddon’s premiership... I can recall him standing under the Seddon statue in the grounds of parliament and telling me that Seddon had more backbone than Sid Holland and all his cabinet colleagues put together.. More>>

8 October: Miley Cyrus Bangerz Tour Coming To Auckland!

Dainty Group announced today that global superstar Miley Cyrus will bring her BANGERZ TOUR to New Zealand in October this year. This will be Miley’s first ever visit to New Zealand and there will only be one Auckland show before she takes her tour to Australia. More>>

ALSO:

Music: Lorde NZ Tour Confirmed In Four Major Cities!

In what will be her first ever New Zealand headline tour, Frontier Touring and Brent Eccles Entertainment are stoked to bring you four epic shows across the country! The all ages concerts take place late October/ early November in Christchurch, Dunedin, Wellington and Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Culture
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news