Kiwi Motorsport Great Signed
1ST October 2014
Team Kiwi Racing (TKR) Sign Kiwi Motorsport Great
Team Kiwi Racing (TKR) Owner, David John, has today confirmed that Kiwi motorsport great, Craig Baird, will head the Team Kiwi Racing (TKR) driver line-up for the 2014/15 NZV8 Touring Car Championship.
Baird, who has driven for TKR before in the 2004 and 2005 Australian V8 Supercar Championship, is regarded as one of the greatest drivers to come out of New Zealand.
“Craig has had an amazing run of success in a wide variety of categories including V8 Supercars and sports car racing over the past decade and, in particular, the one-make Porsche championships across Australasia,” said Team Owner David John.
“After winning more New Zealand titles than any other driver including five Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge New Zealand titles and five Porsche Carrera Cup Australia championships, Craig has proven himself as the most successful one-make Porsche driver in the world, making the choice for Baird to drive the lead TKR car in the 2014/15 NZV8 Championship the right decision.”
Baird will not only be driving the TKR 021 All Black machine in the 2014/15 NZV8 Championship but he will also be helping TKR with the mentoring of the selected Team Kiwi Racing (TKR) Development Academy driver/drivers.
“I am really looking forward to the season ahead with TKR in the NZV8 Touring Car Championship, I love racing on home soil and I admire what Team Kiwi Racing (TKR) has provided Kiwi drivers over the year’s both domestically and internationally,” said Baird
“This exciting opportunity with Team Kiwi Racing (TKR) also allows for me to share my motorsport knowledge with the selected Team Kiwi Racing (TKR) Development Academy driver/s, Team Kiwi Racing (TKR) is looking to support both domestically and internationally.”
Baird last drove for TKR in 2004 and 2005 when he was the team’s driver in the Australian V8 Supercar Championship during which time Baird secured TKR’s first ever V8 Supercar pole positon at Winton Raceway. A significant milestone many V8 Supercar teams never achieve.
More recently Baird assisted TKR when fellow Kiwi Andre Heimgartner made his international motorsport debut in the TKR Porsche 911 997 Carrera Cup Car in the Australian Porsche Carrera Cup Championship.
NZV8 TOURING CARS - 2014/15
01-02 Nov 2014 Hampton Downs Waikato
28-30 Nov 2014 Pukekohe Park Pukekohe
16-18 January 2015 Mike Pero Motorsport Park Christchurch
23-25 January 2015 Teretonga Park Invercargill
13-15 February 2015 Manfeild Feilding
April 2015 V8SC - TBC Pukekohe
1974–1985 7 x New Zealand Karting Champion
1986–1987 2 x Asia Pacific Kart Champion
1987–1988 New Zealand Formula Ford Champion
1990–1991 New Zealand Formula Atlantic Champion
1991 Winner - New Zealand Grand Prix
1991–1992 New Zealand Formula Atlantic Champion
1992 Winner - New Zealand Grand Prix
1992–1993 New Zealand Formula Atlantic Champion
1993 Winner - New Zealand Grand Prix
1993–1994 New Zealand Touring Car Champion
1994–1995 New Zealand Touring Car Champion
1995–1996 New Zealand Touring Car Champion
1996 Winner - Bathurst 1000 (Super Touring Class)
1996–1997 New Zealand Touring Car Champion
1997 Winner - Bathurst 1000 Super Touring Car Event
Inducted to the NZ Motorsport Wall of Fame
2000 Winner - NZ Tranzam Championship
Winner - Phillip Island round V8 Supercars
2006 Porsche Carrera Cup Australia Champion
Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge NZ Champion
2007 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge NZ Champion
Porsche Carrera Cup Australia – 3rd
Winner – Bathurst 12 Hour Endurance event
2008 Porsche Carrera Cup Australia Champion
Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge NZ Champion
Winner - Dubai 24 Hour (Porsche 911)
2009 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge NZ Champion
2009/2010 Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge NZ Champion
2010 Winner - New Zealand Jim Clark Trophy
Winner - New Zealand Gold Star Trophy
2011 Porsche Carrera Cup Australia Champion
2012 Porsche Carrera Cup Australia Champion
2013 Porsche Carrera Cup Australia Champion
• Jason Richards, 1st 2.0ltr Touring Car Championship x 2. First TKR V8 Supercar driver. Podium v8 Supercar finish Canberra.
• Angus Fogg, 2nd 2.0ltr Touring Car Championship x 2. Joint first TKR V8 Supercar driver debuting Bathurst 2000 with J.Richards.
• Rhys McKay, L/K 500 Winner.
• Craig Baird, First Pole Position for TKR in the V8 Supercar Championship.
• Mark Porter, 3rd V8 Supercars Development Series.
• Ryan Bailey, 2nd BMW Mini.
• Ben Dallas, 1st BMW Mini.
• Matthew Hamilton, 1st BMW Mini.
• Matthew Gibson, 3rd BMW Mini.
• Craig Innes, 2nd BMW Mini.
• Nick Ross, 5th NZV8 Championship.
• Andy Booth, 1st NZV8 Championship.
• John McIntyre, 3rd NZV8’s.
• Daniel Gaunt, Debut V8 Supercars.
• Fabian Coulthard, N/A.
• Chris Pither, Debut V8 Supercars.
• Paul Radisich, Podium V8 Supercars China. Top 10 V8 Supercar finishes.
• Kayne Scott, Debut V8 Supercar Championship.
• Shane van Gisbergen. Debut V8 Supercar Championship.
• Andre Heimgartner. Rookie of the year Porsche Carrera Cup Australia. Debut Australian drive.
• Shea Davies. Rookie of the year Porsche Carrera Cup Australia.
• Adam Gowans. Multiple Pole position starts and podium finishes in elite class with 3 race wins from 3 race starts at the great race, Bathurst, Mount Panorama.
There are so many other key achievements by TKR such as multiple back to back championship titles and race wins, three wins from three starts at Bathurst in the TKR Porsche Carrera Cup car 2013, not to mention simply being the first ever Kiwi team to compete in the Australian V8 Supercar Championship.