Mother Nature Delivers Mt Ruapehu Snow for School Holidays
Mother Nature delivers snow for school holidays and more forecast for Mt Ruapehu this week
MT RUAPEHU 11 July 2017: Steady snow fall over the last few days at Mt Ruapehu has arrived in perfect time for the school holidays - and more snow is forecast.
Marketing Manager Matt McIvor says, "We’re stoked to see some decent snow falling with more in the forecast this week. After talking to our patrollers, there looks to be a solid front hitting us from Wednesday, which could bring us between 30-50cm of fresh snow down to low levels, possibly even more.
"We’re hoping this forecast stays true so we can open more lift facilities at both Turoa and Whakapapa. The long range forecast is looking clear for Saturday and Sunday too so it definitely has the potential to be an epic weekend!"
Matt says there's still plenty to do up the mountain, including snow caves for the kids, a sledding lane and face painting at Turoa. At Whakapapa the new Happy Valley access elevators are operating, night skiing is operating with a launch party this Saturday and the new Corona Schuss House bar is scheduled to open on Hutt Flat this weekend.
1,557 skiers/snowboarders/sightseers scanned through the gates at Whakapapa on Saturday and 876 yesterday. Turoa had 429 on Saturday and 473 yesterday.
• Snow flurries with 10cm falling over the weekend.
• Alpine Meadow has been open for skiing & snowboarding, which has included terrain park features.
• The Turoa team has provided additional activities and fun for school holidays, opening a sledding run at the top of Parklane for sightseers, with the Parklane Café open along with the Alpine Café in the Turoa Plaza.
• Turoa has built a couple of snow caves - one in Alpine Meadow, and one on the Wintergarden.
• Wintergarden now has a sledding lane and there is free face painting every day.
• 15cm fell at Whakapapa over the weekend.
• The new Happy Valley access elevators are now operating and can transport around 4 times as many guests per hour than the old Happy Valley Access Chairlift. Happy Valley Access Chairlift could transport around 350 people an hour, the new elevators can transport around 1500 an hour.
• Whakapapa has the Rangatira Express Chairlift open for intermediate skiers/snowboarders & Happy Valley for beginners.
• Night skiing is planned to run on
the Rangatira Express with the Night skiing launch party
scheduled for Saturday including live music & marshmallow
• The new 'Mexican inspired' Corona Schuss House bar is scheduled to open on Hutt Flat this weekend, located slope side between the Rangatira & Waterfall Express Chairlifts.
Visit mtruapehu.com for more information on snow conditions & new developments for winter 2017.
353: James & Georgia Copland making snow angels
1129: Skiing Whakapapa’s Rockgarden, Sunday 9 July
925: Snowboarder on Whakapapa’s Rockgarden, Sunday 9 July
302: Fresh tracks on Whakapapa’s Rockgarden, Sunday 9 July