Heritage Earthquake Upgrade Incentive Programme
The Heritage Earthquake Upgrade Incentive Programme (Heritage EQUIP)
The Heritage Earthquake Upgrade Incentive Programme (Heritage EQUIP) is a new initiative to provide financial support and advice for owners of earthquake-prone heritage buildings to seismically strengthen their buildings.
Heritage buildings have value to all New Zealanders, but it is the owners who bear the seismic strengthening costs. Strengthening can be a complex process, so there is a real risk that these buildings will remain vacant or that we may lose some of this precious heritage and identity.
In many places, heritage forms the cornerstones of commercial districts in our towns and cities. To have key commercial buildings vacant or out of action creates significant financial impacts for business owners and the wider region.
Heritage EQUIP assists private owners to strengthen their heritage buildings to meet the requirements of the Building (Earthquake-prone Buildings) Amendment Act 2016.
"We can accept funding applications at any time, but the close-off date to be considered at the next assessment panel meeting is 21 August," says Mike Frew, Fund Manager (Heritage EQUIP - Ministry for Culture and Heritage). "Following that the next opportunity closes 4 December," says Mr Frew.
• About the fund - what's available and the type of work funded.
• Am I eligible? - the criteria you'll need to meet.
• How to apply - application forms and guidance.
• Seismic strengthening solutions - common hazards and potential solutions for heritage buildings.
• Regulations and legislation - requirements be aware of when undertaking a strengthening project.
• Who can help - finding experts who can help with your project.
• Register here to receive email updates on Heritage EQUIP.
For further information visit www.mch.govt.nz/heritageequip.