Wow the senses at chocolate festival
Wow the senses at chocolate festival
For immediate release: Monday 19th March 2018
Chilli chocolate hot sauce and bitter cocoa tomato jam are some of the creative ways chocolate will feature in a gourmet indulgence breakfast on Easter Monday in Rotorua.
Taste buds will be tantalised with sweet and savoury gourmet creations, and eyes will be amazed as they are plated and decorated in front of you.
The chocolate fondue breakfast is part of MELT, Festival of Chocolate and is set to delight the senses.
Rotorua’s Terrace Kitchen is one of many local businesses who are excited to be involved in the inaugural event. They are the creators of the decadent breakfast menu.
Timo Dicker, executive chef from Terrace Kitchen said he can’t wait for the event and thinks the festival will be something pretty special.
“It’s always fun to be part of community driven events with good products and enthusiastic people. Events like these are great for locals and visitors and push people to try something different.”
The breakfast will offer some gourmet versions of traditional sweet breakfast treats like brioches. For the more adventurous, savoury dishes will be accompanied that have a chocolate edge.
“To design the menu, we used a selection of our daily specials and added a chocolate twist. We want to tempt people to try something new.”
“The orange brioche with white chocolate ganache and braline crumb is amazing. We have our house-made rose marshmallows and fruit skewers for the chocolate fondue. But we also have a breakfast burrito and brisket butties.”
“The smoked brisket butties with bitter cocoa tomato jam are full of flavour. Rubbed, smoked and slow cooked for hours. The acidity in the tomato and bitter cocoa cuts through the tasty meat.”
The breakfast will be served in a marquee in Kuirau Park. While some food preparation will be done in the kitchens, as much as possible of the decorations and plating will be done onsite in front of the breakfast attendees.
Many Rotorua businesses are on board to support the event. Event creator and director Alia Ryan from Boost Fundraising and Events has a preference to use local suppliers.
“As a local business owner, I know how important it is to support other local businesses. Plus, it really adds something special to the event.”
“It’s great to see so many local businesses keen to be part of this event and support it,” Ryan said.
Terrace Kitchen and Clarkes Bar at Novotel are Melt Hot Spots over Easter and will feature special chocolate drinks and desserts.
In addition, Terrace Kitchen’s Varun Kumar will run the flair bar tender demonstrations on Easter Saturday, where making chocolate cocktails is as entertaining to watch as they are delicious to drink.
Amjazz Dance Studio will provide the dancers to lead the opening event, The Hits Cocoa Carnival parade. This will be a free family carnival on Good Friday evening in Kuirau Park with a fancy-dress competition.
Local cake maker Sarah Tatton from Cakalicious and Paul Hickey from The Hits will judge both the Great Chocolate Cook-off and the Meat and Sweet Charcoal BBQ Competition.
Prince's Gate Hotel will sell peppermint and chocolate loose leaf tea, brownies and cookies at Melt Central. At the hotel they will put a chocolate twist on their signature high tea.
Rotorua Frozen Confection will have chocolate milk shakes and ice cream. Other vendors will supply crepes, gelato, waffle cones, coffee and hot chocolate, a BBQ with mocha rub and more to be announced soon.
The Festival of Chocolate is a mix of free and paid events over the four days. Melt Central, the ticketed area based in Kuirau Park, will include chocolate themed vendors, demonstrations and products, kids play area, entertainment and various activities each day.
Tickets are on sale for Melt Central and the Chocolate Fondue Breakfast. Registrations are open for the Fancy Dress Competition, the Great Chocolate Bake-off and the Meat and Sweet Charcoal Barbeque. For tickets or more information about Melt, Festival of Chocolate go to www.meltrotorua.co.nz
MELT Festival of Chocolate kicks off at 5pm on Friday 30th March. The Festival includes:
• MELT CENTRAL – ticketed area in Kuirau Park. Showcases food vendors, live music, kid’s play area, demonstrations and competitions including The Great Chocolate Cook-Off and the Melt Bar. Opening times are:
o Good Friday 5pm - 9pm
o Easter Saturday 9am – 9pm
o Easter Sunday 9am – 5pm
o Easter Monday 9am – 5pm
• The Hits Cocoa Carnival is an evening of FREE family fun and entertainment. A chocolate themed parade which will make its way through the Kuirau Park extension of Rotorua’s Green Corridor. Register to take part in the Fancy Dress competition.
• Two cooking Competitions (Registrations required with entry fee payable):
o Great Chocolate Cook-off – From cakes, to cookies to anything made from chocolate, the Judges will be looking for unique concoctions that taste divine. Judged on Easter Sunday.
o Meat & Sweet Charcoal BBQ Competition on Easter Saturday – Teams must cook one meat and one sweet dish on the BBQ that heavily features chocolate.
• Chocolate Demos - Chocolate Demonstrations will be held throughout the Festival, giving you the opportunity to watch professionals master the art of chocolate.
• Rotorua Museum Easter Egg Hunt – free family event on Easter Sunday.
• Fondue Breakfast – Easter Monday 9am – 10am. Tickets available now. Menu includes:
o Fruit & house made rose marshmallow skewers with individual fondue
o Orange brioche with white chocolate ganache and braline crumb
o Smoked brisket butties with bitter cocoa tomato jam
o Cinnamon and chocolate scone rolls
o Breakie burrito with chilli chocolate hot sauce with creamy egg, mozzarella and refried beans
o Cheese kranskys off the BBQ, corn bread and cocoa nib onion jam
• QE Chocolate Spa Indulgence - Relax, unwind and indulge with chocolate Spa Packages created by QE Health exclusively for Melt Festival of Chocolate.
• Donnelly Natural Wood Products Race Day - Wind up your long weekend with some FREE family fun and a competition for the chance to win a Melt Festival Chocolate Prize Pack.
• Melt Hot Spots – Terrace Kitchen, Clarkes Bar Novotel and Princes Gate Hotel are MELT Hot Spots and will have special chocolate drinks and treats available throughout the Chocolate Festival.