Aio - The new bilingual EP in te reo Māori from Huia
Āio - to be at Peace.
Āio is what we strive for in our own minds,
Āio is what nature is calling for and
Āio is what the world needs...
Āio is barefoot, synth rich, lyrically heavy and deep bass with silk ambience all in Māori.
Marking 10 years since her first te reo Māori release, Huia has been writing Āio for the past year, balancing life as a mama and artist. This EP reflects this journey, with waiata that also balance the 2 music worlds she lives in, that is, the space between the traditional Māori sound and the electronic vibes of the ever-evolving music consciousness of now.
“Āio itself is an absolute breath of fresh air in today's music scene - a scene that (although I love) is often inundated with songs about getting lit, and having your heart broken - instead Huia leans more towards a perfect little blend of taking care of your inner self, and also of the natural world that we are surrounded by.” (Amanda Hailwood for Muzik.net.nz)
A quick summary of Āio - a 5 track EP
• Āio (Be At Peace)- A waiata about the connection with Te Ao, our nature and the symbiotic relationship we have with Papatūānuku and Tangaroa
• Tui Tuia (Weave) - A message for the future, for when her sons go into the world. Remember your culture and return to your Maunga and Awa should you lose your way
• Tūāuri (To Be Indigo) - A waiata aroha, a love song about an indigo, warm space of love
• Tohunga (The Revered) - a lifting waiata, you are all important, its not just about the celebrities, the sun shines equally for everyone!
• Ngākau Ruwha - a waiata about mental health, keeping check of oneself and having a look inside your book, your Ngākau ruwha/worn heart and history. Being in that space is beautiful.
With the electro-haka beats of multi award-winning artist Rei, then the mix and mastering skills of KOG Studio Chris Chetland, Āio is emotive and beautifully produced. With the tautoko (support) of Te Māngai Paho, whos focus is on strengthening the first language of Aotearoa, this full te reo Māori E.P. flows on from her last release, ĀTA EP in 2016.
Āio is Huia’s 3rd solo release since her debut album ‘Huia’s Waiata’, as well as the award winning Tātou Tātou E Collective releases (V1-V5) and Lullabies Of The World which hit #11 on the German charts. Huia was invited to perform the classic Aotearoa lullabye Hine E Hine (over 40,000 streams) by the late and much missed artist producer Ramesh Weeratunga.
You may have heard Huia’s warm tones at festivals and intimate gigs such as: Lovelake festival, Splore (opening Karanga and performing), Coro Sonic Lab festival, The Rogue Stage, Waiheke Jazz festival, R’n’V, The Red Lounge Sessions and Auckland Museum. Huia was awarded for her work in the music industry by Auckland Arts Trust and was a recipient of the Arts Venture Programme Award.
If you purchase the EP you will be invited to her personal art page where you can download images and kōrero which were created at the same time as the EP. There is a music video for Āio, also Ngākau Ruwha and Tui Tuia, as well as the english translations on the way.
Connect with Huia at - www.iamhuia.com