World’s greatest Supercross stars to race at Mt Smart
World’s greatest Supercross stars to race at Auckland’s Mt Smart Stadium on November 24
8th August 2018: FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The world’s best Supercross and Freestyle Motocross riders will descend upon Auckland’s Mt Smart Stadium for the first-ever Monster Energy S-X Open Auckland on Saturday 24th November.
6,000 tonnes of dirt will be trucked into the venue creating one of the most extreme tracks New Zealand has ever seen as Auckland plays host to the grand final of the Monster Energy S-X Open Supercross FIM Oceania Championship, which promises to be the largest off-road motorcycling series outside of the USA.
Created by the founders of the sell-out AUS-X Open Sydney, S-X Open Auckland is set to bring motorsport fans more action, entertainment, pyro, music, lights, and drama than ever seen in the city before.
Tickets will be available from Ticketmaster from August 16th, but fans are able to sign up for the VIP Members Presale which begins on August 14th by going to www.sxopen.com for the best chance at grabbing the ultimate seats before they’re available to the public.
Supercross has been touted as one of the fastest growing and most extreme forms of motorsport on the planet. Athletes battle side-by-side, on 100 kg motorcycles, soaring 40 feet into the air and aggressive bar-to-bar contact is a regular occurrence throughout the short, explosive racing formats. Riders are more like modern-day gladiators, fighting within millimetres of catastrophe at all times.
Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (ATEED) will be supporting the event as part of Auckland’s Major Events Portfolio, which generates social and economic benefits for the region.
ATEED Head of Major Events, Stuart Turner, says the S-X Open Auckland firmly puts the region on the map as a host city for a dynamic sport with large local and international broadcast and social media followings, at a time of year when there is plenty of accommodation capacity in the city.
“It is exciting for Auckland to add this fast-paced, action-packed new event to our 2018 calendar, and we look forward to welcoming Supercross fans from around New Zealand and top riders from around the world here to enjoy a great blend of high-energy motorsport and live entertainment along with everything else Auckland has to offer,” said Turner.
Global energy drink giant Monster Energy has also been confirmed as Naming Rights Partner for the S-X Open Auckland event, which Marketing Director Oceania - Tim Ryder says was a natural move for the brand.
"Monster Energy has a long-standing association with Supercross and Motocross riders and teams worldwide, including some of the sport’s best in Ricky Carmichael, Ryan Villopoto, and Justin Barcia, and to now be the title sponsor of the S-X Open Auckland is an exciting addition to our strong stable of event partnerships," Ryder said.
"Securing the title partnerships of both the S-X Open Auckland and AUS-X Open Sydney is a natural move for us as we continue to expand our involvement in Supercross across Oceania.”
Organisers are keeping this year’s lineup tight-lipped but Event Co-Founder and Director – Adam Bailey is calling out all sports fans to come and be a part of motorsport history on November 24.
“This will be the biggest international action sports event to ever hit Auckland and we’re incredibly excited to be bringing our show across the ditch,” Bailey said.
“We know how much Kiwis love their motorsport and there’s no more extreme version of motorsport than Supercross in a world-class stadium, with the world’s best riders laying it all on the line.
S-X Open Auckland will feature pyrotechnics, live music and first-class concert like entertainment values, just a short drive from Auckland’s CBD at the world-class Mt Smart Stadium; with a pit paddock area accessible on the outside of the stadium for all motorsport fans to get up close and personal with their favourite teams and riders. It promises to be an amazing spectacle for all ages to enjoy.
Event Co-Founder and Director – Ryan Sanderson is pumped to be bringing the strongest international competition outside of the US to New Zealand and believes local riders will pack plenty of punch on November 24.
"New Zealand has some amazing riders and this will be their very best opportunity to show the world what they can do against the best from Australia and the rest of the world, all on home soil.”
“We’re well underway with plans to not only secure an incredible lineup of riders but have a whole host of announcements that will shock and amaze fans. There’s nowhere you’d rather be than in Auckland on November 24!” Sanderson added.
Further announcements regarding the athlete lineup, an exciting racing schedule, promotions and more are still to come. Signing up for the pre-sale ensures first preference of ALL seating for the 2018 Monster Energy S-X Open Auckland. For more information visit www.sxopen.com
NOTES TO EDITORS
KEY INFORMATION ON THE 2018 MONSTER ENERGY S-X OPEN AUCKLAND
The Monster Energy S-X Open Auckland event will be a stadium-based motor and action sports event combining some of the best riders in the world across both Supercross and Freestyle Motocross (FMX) disciplines into one event. It will be the largest competitive action sports and Supercross event ever held in New Zealand.
Created by the founders of the hugely successful AUS-X Open event in Sydney, the S-X Open Auckland will bring motorsport fans more extreme action than ever seen in the city before, including home-grown talent against the world's best.
KEY STATS FOR 2018 MONSTER ENERGY S-X OPEN AUCKLAND
• The S-X Open Auckland Event will be the most unique Supercross event compared to any other event in the world and in 2018 will be sanctioned by the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme with FIM Oceania status and sanctioning, including the final round of the S-X Open Supercross FIM Oceania Championship in 2018, with the SX1 Champion being crowned in Auckland.
• All new Triple-Crown Final race format in both SX1 & SX2 classes will mean non-stop, high-intensity action that will have fans on the edge of their seats, for the entire duration of the event.
• FMX riders will contest the FMX 'Best Trick' competition with previous winners throwing down such tricks as Double Backflips, Bikeflips and Frontflips with fans in absolute awe of what these guys can do on their motorcycles.
• Features the very best international athletes as well as New Zealand and Australia’s best for the first time ever in New Zealand.
• 45% were from outside of NSW or from overseas and flew in excess of one hour by plane to attend the 2017 AUS-X Open Sydney event. It truly captures a national and international audience and is so unique, fans travel far and wide to attend every year.
• Broadcast LIVE in Asia, Australia, and New Zealand and replayed in the USA and Europe to over 300 million households in 2017.
• Supercross is an innovative, faster, action-packed version of motocross, the sport's original form. Motocross takes place on long purpose-built courses primarily on natural dirt and terrain. Supercross races are made from dirt hauled into stadiums with bigger jumps, massive banking turns, ruts and varying sized bumps, to amplify the experience for both rider and spectator.