Gray Bartlett Goes Platinum
New Album |Platinum | 2018 |
Auckland, 14 November 2018 – Platinum. The word says it all. Better than silver. Better than gold.
It’s also – fittingly – the name of Gray Bartlett’s new album. It’s the first from the internationally recognised, award winning New Zealand guitarist and country music performer since 2016’s Private Conversations, and the first since he underwent a series of operations on both hands which have enabled him to continue to play.
The new album features several original tunes. “Hemingways Theme” is inspired by the writing of another legend, Ernest Hemingway. “Glory Train” and “Painted Moon” are both based on Gray’s synesthesia, the ability to see – and hear – colours when playing certain chords. “I sometimes see a version of the melody and the chord sequences as blues and reds, and when I do the music just comes out of me.” As listeners we may not be able to “see” what Gray sees, but we can appreciate the vibrancy of his vision as he translates it for us.
Other standout tracks are the Chris Isaak instrumental, “Wicked Games”, which also features the talented young guitarist player CARSON – surely destined for stardom. There’s a live version of “Yellow Rose” featuring Chet O’Connell, recorded during a sellout performance in Hamilton Founders Theatre. And there’s a Chet Atkins favourite, “I’ll See You in My Dreams” in which Gray pays homage to the master by emulating his virtuoso style.
Like its predecessor, Platinum was privately made: “Conceived, recorded, pressed, printed, marketed and launched without any funding from any New Zealand music industry agencies,” says Gray. It’s a point of pride for him, and gives him a freedom of expression and association that enriches his playing.
Platinum. A stunning collection of timeless songs from a master musician at the peak of his powers.
1. Wicked Games (Chris Isaak)
2. Runaway (Max Crook/Del Shannon)
3. Perfect (Ed Sheeran)
4. I’ll See You in my Dreams (Jones/Kahn)
5. Goodtime Charlies (Got the Blues) with Chet O’Connell (Danny O’Keefe) Warner/Chappell
6. Yellow Rose of Texas (live version) with Chet O’Connell, Traditional
7. I Swear (Baker/Myers) Sony ATV/Warner Chappell
8. Walk Don’t Run (Smith) Peer Music Pty @1986
9. Bad Moon Rising (with Larrys Rebellion)
10. Albatross (Peter Green)
11. Glory Train (Gray Bartlett) NZEA
12. Painted Moon (Gray Bartlett) NZEA
13. Hemingways Theme (Gray Bartlett) NZEA Bonus Track
14. Wicked Games (Chris Isaak) featuring CARSON with Mark Denniston Orchestra
Platinum is available from online music retailers and music stores nationwide.
Gray has sold over 2 million singles and albums in China, Japan, USA, UK, India, Europe, Australia and New Zealand.