SEX, DEATH, PSYCHICS, FOLKLORE GODDESSES, TOMATOES IN AUTUMN
collection of Aotearoa’s most breathtaking theatremakers have created an opulent portrayal of the brutal and benign.
Massive Crushes is a morbid mixtape of murderous monologues about sex, death, and all of the filth in between. A new play from the renowned creative depressive behind Tiny Deaths, Me and My Sister Tell Each Other Everything, My Fat/Sad and WATCH and directed by the award-winning visionary Isobel MacKinnon (Actual Fact, Soft n Hard, 2018 Best in Fringe winner My Best Dead Friend). Together, they have created macabre masterpiece of weird and wonderful.
“Characters and situations we can connect with in unexpected ways … push[ing] Dean’s writing to idiosyncratic heights.” – The Lumière Reader
Starring a cast of Wellington's most brilliant wahine toa; Stevie Hancox-Monk (Hamlet, The Turkish Dogs are Racist), Hannah Kelly (Imposter Child, Christmas Detention Centre), Batanai Mashingaidze (PSA: Ghosts of Christmas Parties), Freya Daly Sadgrove (Me and My Sister Tell Each Other Everything, Marine Snow), Harriet Prebble (The Atom Room, The Father), Isadora Lao (Modern Girls in Bed), Maggie White (Hamlet), Lucy McCarthny (Last Meals), and Dr. Hannah Banks (Tiny Deaths, A Play About Space).
Hauntingly relatable wahine who represent your fears, desires, repression, oppression, depression, hunger, anger, and your penchant for witchcraft.
Visceral, vocal, vibrant. These women are hear
to be heard and to get revenge.
So do not miss Massive Crushes.
* 2x Best in Fringe WINNER (Isobel MacKinnon
- NZ Fringe, 2018/15)
* 2x Best Director WINNER (Isobel MacKinnon – Auckland Fringe, 2018 / NZ Fringe, 2015)
* Most Original Production WINNER (Isobel MacKinnon - Wellington Theatre Awards, 2014)
* Best New NZ Play nominee (Uther Dean - Wellington Theatre Awards, 2014)
* Best Solo WINNER (Uther Dean - NZ Fringe, 2014)
* Best Theatre WINNER (Uther Dean & Hannah Banks - Dunedin Fringe, 2013)
* Best Design WINNER (Uther Dean & Hannah Banks - NZ Fringe, 2013)
* Best Newcomer Playwright nominee (Uther Dean - Wellington Theatre Awards, 2013)
* Most Promising Emerging Artist WINNER (A Mulled Whine - NZ Fringe, 2018)
* Most Promising Newcomer WINNER (A Mulled Whine - Wellington Theatre Awards, 2018)
Come and be
disturbed by how absolutely relatable it all is:
Massive Crushes at BATS Theatre
Wednesday 13th – Saturday 16th March / 8.30pm
Tickets $20 full / $15 concession / $14 Fringe Addict
Bookings from www.bats.co.nz / www.fringe.co.nz