National Fightback Hui - Proposed Agenda
NATIONAL FIGHTBACK HUI
Activists from campuses all over NZ to converge on Hamilton this weekend, Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd, to plan the next phase in the struggle for Free Education, the abolition of student loans, the cancellation of student debt and fees, and the introduction of a Universal Student Living Allowance. Co sponsored by Fightback Waikato and the Waikato Students Union.
Venue : Student Union Building, University of Waikato campus.
Billets are free, meet at WSU on Friday evening for accomodation. Meals to be provided. Bring sleeping bags. Saturday night in Corkus. "Rage for Free Education" Carnival, with bands and DJs rocking against fees, debt and student poverty.
Proposed Agenda for the Hui in Ham
1. PRESPECTIVES SESSION-Where are we at in the campaign for National occupations for free education?
A national analysis of the state of the struggle. Overall evaluation of the first round of occupations and actions.
a. at every campus except Canterbury, the movement is in a better position than it was at the beginning of the year.
b. There are strong signs of a high level of passive support for the national objectives on all campuses (thousands of names on petitions) however
c. active participation is much lower...Police brutality...Craccum....Right wing execs but mostly
d. Illusions in reformism, the "Honeymood period" of the Labour government.
2. Analysis of the most successful actions- Waikato and Victoria What can be learned from the experiences of building and organising on these campuses
3. Brief reports from other campuses Increase understanding and national networking and allow the development of new activists as speakers...AUT, MIT, Waikato Polytech etc.
4. Reconfirmation of the Wellington Hui goals (The 10 point programme)
5. Key tasks facing the movement. Activism under a Social Democratic government- Why Labour will not deliver? The Power of Protest internationally, and nationwide occupation in particular. International student movement experiences from overseas.
5. Strategy and Tactics. Setting dates for the next phase of Rallies and Occupations. Planning etc.
Further suggestions contact Fightbackwaikato@hotmail.com
Joe Carolan Fightback Waikato