Education Policy | Post Primary | Preschool | Primary | Tertiary | Search

 


Predictable Response From Compulsory Campaigners

Predictable Response From Compulsory Campaigners At Waikato

Patrick Dunford

16 October 2000

As voting begins in the Waikato Student Union's membership referendum, a range of pro-compulsory organisations have issued press releases justifying a compulsory stance.

Waikato University broke new ground in New Zealand in 1996 when, under the guidance of a pro-voluntary student executive, members of the association voted for voluntary membership. That status was subsequently confirmed in further votes held in subsequent years.

Recent votes held on other campuses have shown that student association executives have a disproportionate amount of influence on the outcome of membership referenda. The Labour Government, which supports compulsory membership, earlier this year passed a law which removed the checks and balances put in place by the preceding National Government and restored the ability of student associations to manipulate the conduct of campaigns and referenda to their own advantage.

In the recent Christchurch Polytechnic Institute of Technology referendum, the Students Association successfully opposed a fully postal ballot, which would have produced a much higher turnout than the 9% who did actually vote, but which would probably have sustained voluntary membership at the institution. As it was, the pro-compulsory vote was the same as in the 1999 referendum, but the much lower turnout resulted in an outcome favouring compulsory membership of the institution.

It is unfortunate that when 8% or even 1% of students at tertiary institutions can bind the other 92 - 99% of students who have not participated in decisionmaking processes, such as referenda, there are no checks and balances in place to ensure fair campaigning and voting. There are much greater requirements for national elections. When student associations are exploiting a law that contravenes the right to freedom of association, much fairer rules should be applied.

For the reasons outlined above, I believe that there will be a small on campus turnout favouring compulsory membership. It will be fascinating to compare this with the situation at Auckland University where the enlightened executive is conducting a fully postal ballot and is sharing resources with groups favouring voluntary membership. The pro-compulsory campaigners at Waikato have trotted out their usual mishmash of propaganda arguments and halftruths, funded by moneys extorted from students of compulsory associations. Why should students have to hand over money to support these wannabe politicians and Labour Party supporters.

ENDS

Web site : http://patrick.dunford.com/vsmc/


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Scoop Review Of Books: Almost Getting Away With Murder

The Black Widow by Lee-Anne Cartier: Lee-Anne Cartier is the sister of the Christchurch man found to have been murdered by his wife, Helen Milner, after an initial assumption by police that his death, in 2009, was suicide. More>>

Howard Davis: Triple Echo - The Malevich/Reinhardt/Hotere Nexus

Howard Davis: The current juxtaposition of works by Ralph Hotere and Ad Reinhardt at Te Papa perfectly exemplifies Jean Michel Massing's preoccupation with the transmigration of imagery in a remarkable triple echo effect... More>>

Scoop Review Of Books: Nō Tāu Manawa

Vaughan Rapatahana responds to Fale Aitu | Spirit House by Tusiata Avi.
More>>

9 Golds - 21 Medals: NZ Team Celebrates As Rio 2016 Paralympic Games Close

The entire New Zealand Paralympic Team, led by kiwi sprinter and double gold medallist Liam Malone as flag bearer, are on the bus to the Maracanã Stadium in Rio de Janeiro for the Closing Ceremony of the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. There, they will celebrate the fantastic successes of the past 10 days. More>>

ALSO:

New Zealand Improv Festival: The Festival Of Moments To Return To The Capital

The eighth incarnation of the New Zealand Improv Festival comes to BATS Theatre this 4-8 October , with a stellar line-up of spontaneous theatre and instant comedy performed and directed by top improvisors from around New Zealand and the world. More>>

ALSO:

CDF Tim Keating: NZ Somme Centenary

"Our generals also knew what to expect, and they built that knowledge into their planning. Each of the four set-piece attacks was fought with a single brigade, with the expectation that the brigade would be used up. A fresh brigade would then be brought up to conduct the next set-piece..." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Education
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news