University Scholarships For Rural Students
06 May 2002
Rural Community Trust - University Scholarships For Rural Students
The Rural Community Trust and Transpower NZ Ltd have announced the Transpower Tertiary Scholarship grants for rural students for 2002.
The total awarded this year to the 6 recipients is $9,000, and individual grants are between $1,000 and $2,000.
The grants are to assist young people from rural areas attend university and can be used for a range of student's tertiary expenses.
Trust Spokesperson Tom Lambie said, "The Trust recognises that the extra travel and distance from family that rural students face when attending university can be a barrier."
The successful students are:
* Peter Adshead, Warkworth. Bachelor of Science (Hons) - Physics.
* Heather Edgar, Pukeatua, Te Awamutu. Bachelor of Building Science.
* Renee Edgar, Pukeatua, Te Awamutu. Bachelor of Optometry.
* Kelly Hickford, Inglewood, Taranaki. Certificate in Agriculture
* Stefan Robinson, Palmerston North. Certificate in Agriculture.
* Tui Whana, Hawera. Certificate in Internet Commerce.
Successful applicants must be from a rural background, have a proven academic record, a commitment to study and successfully demonstrate an ability to balance study with sport or recreation. Transpower is the owner and operator of the national electricity transmission grid and is committed to a range of programmes aimed at promoting the electrical engineering profession which is so necessary to manage a world class electricity power system. Preference therefore is generally given to students studying Electrical Engineering.