Outward Bound Trust Celebrates $1 Million Donation
18 October 2004
OUTWARD BOUND TRUST CELEBRATES $1 MILLION DONATION
The Outward Bound Trust is this month celebrating $1 million in sponsorship achieved by people buying Hubbard's Outward Bound breakfast cereal.
Outward Bound New Zealand Trust chief executive, Trevor Taylor, said over a nine year period sales of Hubbards 'Outward Bound' cereal had resulted in $1 million in sponsorship contributions being made to the Trust.
"This is a major milestone which has been reached simply by people eating Outward Bound cereal in the morning," Trevor said.
"In doing so, the public has helped fuel donations to the Trust which have allowed us to continue to operate and offer courses that bring out the very best in people - developing confidence, courage and focus."
Hubbards' Outward Bound cereal was developed nine years ago, as recognition by the company's founder, Dick Hubbard, of the impact of lessons learned through an Outward Bound course, that shaped his life and business.
"Dick Hubbard was so passionate about his Outward Bound experience, that the company decided to produce the cereal and donate 50 cents from the sale of each box to the Outward Bound Trust," Trevor said.
To mark the $1 million milestone, Hubbards has launched a commemorative pack of Outward Bound cereal which will be on sale during October and November.
Hubbards marketing manager, Julia van de Coolwijk, said the organisation's long-term association with the Outward Bound Trust had been an enriching experience for everyone.
"The philosophy and values of the Outward Bound Trust - bringing out the best in people - are closely aligned with the core values at Hubbards," she said.
"Many Hubbards' staff have participated in Outward Bound courses and found the experience to be life-changing. We're just delighted that through the support of the public, we've been able to help the work of the Trust, so that other New Zealanders can reap the benefits of completing an Outward Bound course."
Based at Anakiwa in the Marlborough Sounds, the Outward Bound Trust of New Zealand has helped to see over 45,000 New Zealanders take part in Outward Bound courses over the past 40 years.
"We offer courses that meet everyone's needs from 'The Classic', a 21 day course focusing on self-awareness and inner strength, through to 'Leaps and Bounds' which is a course for 13-17 year olds and their parents or caregivers," Trevor said.
"Involvement in an Outward Bound course is a personal development experience that encourages intellectuals to meet physical challenges, extroverts to listen, introverts to reveal themselves, dependent people to find independence, loners to share socially and dreamers to awaken."
- ends -
Outward Bound www.outwardbound.co.nz
What our courses are about
Outward Bound is an amazing experience that teaches people about themselves and gives them the confidence to go beyond their limits and expand their horizons. It was founded in 1962 by Kurt Hahn, who also founded the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme.
· Outward Bound employs experiential learning - learning by experience - to effect strong positive changes in people with regards to maturity and emotional intelligence. Independent research has identified the following areas of improvement in people who have attended Outward Bound:
- better decision making
- improved goal setting
- improved communication
- greater sense of teamwork
- improved self esteem and confidence
- improved performance under stress
· Outward Bound provides life long learning experiences which enhance the individuals life and instil values important to New Zealand's culture such as honesty, reliability, pride in performance, respect for others, fairness and compassion.
· We offer a range of courses from the 8 day Discovery Course to the 3 week Classic course, catering for people aged 16 years and over. We also custom design courses for companies and for groups with special needs.
· Outward Bound is a registered Charitable Trust. As we receive no central or local government funding, we rely on the ongoing support of various funds and benefactors.
· Two well known Outward Bound graduates include Dick Hubbard and Tom Schnackenberg, both of whom credit the course with giving them the confidence to achieve their goals and dreams.
For further information on our courses please visit our website: www.outwardbound.co.nz
Facts & Figures
· Outward Bound New Zealand was started in 1962, the first course involved 36 students.
· Since then, over 45,000 people have been through Outward Bound courses.
· Outward Bound New Zealand is one of 42 Outward Bound Schools located throughout the world.
· Our oldest students have included three men aged 75 years.
· Approximately 50% of people who attend Outward Bound are sponsored to some degree. Many community and service organisation such as Rotary often provide financial assistance to help with the cost of the course. Outward Bound sometimes receives grants from funding organisations and benefactors that are also used to assist financially disadvantaged people to attend a course - we are constantly seeking funding to keep up with the requests for assistance that we receive.
Feedback from Outward Bound course participants
"The course helped me to realise what is important in my life and it has helped me to put things into perspective. I am finding that I am living a much less stressful life which is due to my attitude."
Rebecca Shaw Course C440
"On return from the course, I feel revitalized - physically fitter, clear-minded, more independent and relaxed. I learnt to live for the moment and enjoy what is going on around me"
Kate McNally Course MBS26
"It is incredibly rewarding and motivating to be challenged at Outward Bound, to feel a sense of achievement after completing something that seemed impossible"
Stephen McClue Course C439
"I have learnt a lot through this course, about perseverance, patience, trust and just getting along with others. By being taken out of my comfort zone I was able to realize how much more there is to life"
Cathyanne Evans Course MBS25