2010 Pilot Scheme Leads to 155 Free Youth Places in 2011
2010 Pilot Scheme Leads to 155 Free Youth Places in 2011.
In 2010 a small number of school leavers had their fees paid to study courses at Whitireia, under a new 'Youth Guarantee' scheme funded by government. Whitireia New Zealand is now offering a range of practical, free, one-year, full-time courses designed especially for school leavers, in an expanded scheme for 2011.
The aim of these courses are to give students the confidence to study and gain a qualification to move into apprenticeships, employment or further study. Its a supportive way to transition from school, tertiary study and work!
Entry criteria vary slightly from course to course, a good example is the entry criteria for The Certificate in Beauty and Hairdressing, which state candidates must be 16-17 year olds who are New Zealand citizens or permanent residents, with NCEA level 1 or equivalent skills or knowledge and enrolling in full time study in 2011.
Subjects on offer
• Beauty and Hairdressing
• Work Skills (Retail & Cosmetics)
• Work Skills (Hospitality & Tourism)
• Administration and Computing
• Outdoor Adventure
• Trades Skills
• Automotive Engineering
• Plumbing, Drainlaying, Gasfitting and Roofing
• Electrical Engineering
• Retail and Cosmetic Services*
• Office Skills/Computing*
Whitireia supports these young people into their first year of tertiary study by:
• Providing friendly
and industry experienced tutors
• Using their excellent training facilities to gain lots of practical experience (some courses include work placements)
• Supporting students to gain the confidence to study and gain NZQA qualifications
• Ensuring students get access to our excellent students support and career guidance
• Including literacy and numeracy support and individual learning plans for all students