Education Policy | Post Primary | Preschool | Primary | Tertiary | Search

 


We will fight charter schools every step of the way

17 September 2013

We will fight charter schools every step of the way - PPTA

PPTA plans to fight the establishment of the newly announced charter schools every step of the way, with a paper heading to annual conference exploring how they will do it.

PPTA junior vice president Hazel McIntosh said today marked the beginning of a terrible experiment on New Zealand’s children that must be stopped in its tracks.

The association plans to fight for the abolition of the charter school legislation and the paper will explore a number of options including instructing members to refrain from all professional, sporting and cultural contact with the schools and their sponsors and advising them not to apply for positions in them.

It also demands that the $19 million set aside for charter schools be returned to the state sector to fund programmes which are demonstrated to raise achievement for at risk students.

“The evidence of just how destructive charter schools will be to our public education system is overwhelming. It beggars belief that we would introduce them here in the face of all the damage they have done to vulnerable students in communities overseas,” McIntosh said.

Charter schools will be fully taxpayer funded profit-making private schools, with limited protections for students, operating in secret without little or no representation by parents and little oversight to ensure taxpayer funds are spent appropriately.

“There has been no transparency, no honesty and no electoral mandate. Handing students over to untrained teachers who don’t have to offer the New Zealand curriculum is a social experiment driven by ideology, not research. It is the Act Party’s desperate attempt to ‘unleash the forces of the market’ in the education sector,” she said.

McIntosh described the introduction of charter schools as a “dirty little deal” that had been shrouded in secrecy for months.

“The whole process, from the surprise announcement after the election in 2011, to the perfunctory way the matter was dealt with in parliament has been an unwelcome demonstration of how easy it is for the rich and powerful to manipulate the political process,” she said.

PPTA’s annual conference will be held at the Brentwood Hotel in Kilbirnie, Wellington from October 1 to 3 and media are welcome to attend. It will also be web-streamed live at www.ppta.org.nz

The conference papers can be found at http://ppta.org.nz/index.php/events/annual-conference


ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

The Luminaries:
Eleanor Catton Wins Man Booker Prize

Victoria University congratulates graduate Eleanor Catton whose novel The Luminaries has won the prestigious Man Booker Prize 2013 announced this morning. More>>

ALSO:

Lulz: 2014 Billy T Award Nominees Announced

The nominees for the 2014 Billy T Award were selected on their proven comedic ability; talent; dedication; current form and potential, and will be judged on all aspects of their 2014 NZ International Comedy Festival show ... More>>

Lorde et al: 2013 APRA Silver Scroll Awards – The Winners

The winner of the 2013 APRA Silver Scroll Award is ‘Royals’, written by the prolifically talented Ella Yelich-O'Connor and her collaborator Joel Little, performed by Lorde. More>>

ALSO:

Famous On The Internet: Google Honours Kiwi Kat

Today marks the 125th Anniversary of Mansfield's birth in Wellington circa 1888, she died aged only 34 from tuberculosis. Before her untimely death, Mansfield published close to 40 short stories and is today remembered as one of histories most prominent short fiction writers. More>>

ALSO:

NZ On Air: Popular 80’s Character Terry Teo Makes A Comeback

Young people are the big winners from the latest NZ On Air television funding decisions. They’ll be treated to two local drama series in 2014 including the return of popular character, Terry Teo. More>>

ALSO:

In League: Sonny Bill Williams Added To Kiwis Squad

Williams signalled to the Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney that he had reconsidered his position of not being available for the tournament. Teams have the ability to make changes at this stage and Williams’ registration has been accepted by World Cup organisers. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
Education
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news