Te Kura Reo O Ngati Kahungunu - 6-10 October 2013
MEDIA RELEASE – 2 October 2013
TE KURA REO O NGĀTI KAHUNGUNU
6-10 October 2013, to be held at EIT Hawkes Bay
With less than a week to go, te reo Māori advocates are gearing up for the first Ngāti Kahungunu Kura Reo, which starts on Sunday 6 October and runs through to Thursday 10 October. This inaugural Kura Reo will be held at Te Ūranga Waka (Faculty of Māori Studies), EIT Hawkes Bay, Taradale. EIT Hawkes Bay has been a staunch supporter of the Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi Inc. Māori Language Revitalization Strategy since its inception in 2006. This Kura Reo is being supported by Mā Te Reo (Te Taura Whiri i te reo Māori - Māori Language Commission).
The week long full immersion school will be taught by eight of New Zealand’s top Māori language exponents, where students will be divided into eight groups and rotate over the four days. The teachers include:
Internationally renowned linguist and Director of Te
Panekiretanga o Te Reo (Institute of Excellence in the
Māori Language), Dr. Tīmoti Kāretu.
- Chairman of Radio Kahungunu and acclaimed language researcher, Dr. Joseph Te Rito.
- Senior lecturer at EIT Hawkes Bay and expert in idioms and colloquial sayings, Materoa Haenga.
- Long-time language advocate and linguist, Lee Smith.
- Nationally recognized language expert and teacher at Te Panekiretanga o Te Reo (Institute of Excellence in the Māori Language), Pānia Papa.
- Acclaimed for extensive research into language revitalization strategies, Ruakere Hond.
- University senior lecturer and former Te Karere presenter, Kīngi Kiriona.
Director of Te Reo, Tikanga and Mātauranga at Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi Inc. and graduate of Te Panekiretanga o Te Reo (Institute of Excellence in the Māori Language), Jeremy Tātere MacLeod.
Some of the subjects being taught throughout the
week-long school include:
- Correct grammar.
- Correct and appropriate usage of idioms and colloquial sayings.
- Grammatical variations unique to Ngāti Kahungunu .
- Phrases, sayings, idioms, colloquial sayings, proverbs unique to Ngāti Kahungunu.
- Teaching and learning strategies.
- Revitalization strategies.
- Creative writing.
- Meanings of proverbs and metaphorical sayings.
The Kura Reo has also invited guest
speakers to deliver seminars each night. They include some
of Ngāti Kahungunu’s top academic
- Internationally renowned educationalist and healer, Dr. Rangimārie Turuki Pere.
- Pro Vice-Chancellor Māori at Victoria University and Toi Ahurei Professor Piri Sciascia.
- Renowned researcher, Ngatai Huata.
- Māori Language Publishing Manager at Huia Publishers, Brian Morris.
- Author and Traditional Māori Performing Arts exponent, Kiwa Hammond.
Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi Incorporated Chairman, Ngahiwi Tomoana commented: “Ngāti Kahungunu is on the move! We continually strive to improve our methods of language revitalization, and this inaugural Kura Reo is another demonstration of the innovative thinking and priority that Ngāti Kahungunu Iwi Inc. places on our language. These teachers are Aotearoa’s finest. I encourage Ngāti Kahungunu to take up the challenge and register!.”
The Kura Reo is aimed at students who are familiar with Māori language immersion courses and who are confident to learn and communicate entirely in Māori. Please note English is strictly prohibited (except during workshops where English is part of the content).
Students : $250.00
Children : $75.00 (not registered student)