Education Policy | Post Primary | Preschool | Primary | Tertiary | Search

 


Labour ECE investment promise welcomed

Monday 27 January 2014

Te Tari Puna Ora o Aotearoa/NZ Childcare Association (NZCA) welcomed Labour’s pledge today to make early childhood education (ECE) front and centre of its education policy.

Nancy Bell, NZCA Chief Executive, said that Labour’s plans addressed two issues of vital importance to the ECE sector, quality and access.

“Labour leader David Cunliffe said that his government would restore ECE funding cuts made by National,” Nancy Bell said. “We take this to mean returning funding for 100% qualified teachers in ECE centres. This would be a great step forward in raising quality in ECE in New Zealand across the board.”

Ms Bell said that in recent years, since the funding cuts were initiated in 2010, there had been a gradual erosion in the ability of services to invest in quality, and that meant centres having to lose qualified staff, increase ratios or forgo professional development.

Labour’s promise to extend the number of ‘free’ hours from 20 to 25 for children over the age of three would be welcomed by parents. It is to be hoped that this does not have any unintended consequences, such as reducing the number of places available. This would need working through to make sure all children genuinely do have access to ECE.

Ms Bell said that increasing paid parental leave to 26 weeks would enable more babies to get the best start in life.

While the promises made were highly positive, the Association was concerned that no attention had been made to the quality of care for under-2s in ECE. Ms Bell said that over a year ago a Ministry of Education working group had recommended higher levels of qualified teachers for this vulnerable age-group.

“We would like to see funding committed to improved regulated standards for under-2s in ECE to help to close the quality gap for this age group.”

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Culture Headlines | Health Headlines | Education Headlines

 

Snell Sale Peters Out: Singlet Withdrawn From Sale

“We believe the item was offered for sale in good faith, but our inquiries have shown that the singlet is not the one worn by Peter Snell at the 1964 Tokyo Olympic Games.” More>>

ALSO:

Bodega: Venue Closing At The End Of The Year, After 25 Years Of Music

"It is with considerable sadness that, for reasons beyond our control, we regret to announce the closure of Bodega’s doors at the end of this year, after 25 years of faithful and committed service to live music in Wellington." More>>

Scoop Review Of Books: Women At The Centre

In the first chapter of her epic History of New Zealand Women, Barbara Brookes places a version of the Māori creation story alongside that of the Pākehā colonists, setting the scene for how each society saw women. The contrast is startling. More>>

In Auckland Art Gallery: A Tour Of Duty

I had already started my journey through the exhibited collections when an audio announcement about a guided tour to embark shortly from the foyer was made, I decided to join in. Why not? More>>

Art: ‘Holiday’ Wins IHC Art Awards

An intricate embroidered cushion by Wellington artist Jo-Anne Tapiki has won the 2016 IHC Art Awards and $5000. Jo-Anne started working from IHC’s Arts on High studio in Lower Hutt 18 months ago and this is the first time she has entered the competition. More>>

‘Quasi’: Christchurch Art Gallery Reveals Rooftop Sculpture

Christchurch-born and internationally renowned artist Ronnie van Hout has had a huge hand in Christchurch Art Gallery's latest outdoor installation. More>>

Get More From Scoop

 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
Education
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news