St Paul’s Students Win Fieldays Young Inventor of the Year
A team of St Paul’s Collegiate School Agribusiness students have been awarded the ‘Young Inventor of the Year’ prize at Fieldays 2017.
Year 13 students George Dyer, Robert Morbey, James Mitchell and William Eyre developed ‘De-Fence’, a simple but effective tool for removing old gate-latch staples from posts. It saves farmer’s valuable time, money and physical stress with the ease of removing the staple.
The group of young innovators developed the product in one of their Agribusiness classes at St Paul’s and have been exhibiting it in the Innovation Centre at Fieldays this week.
Two other St Pauls’ groups were are also entered into the Fieldays Innovation Awards having designed the products ‘Ride Safe’, a quad bike helmet that does not allow the vehicle to start without the helmet being secured and ‘Flash Inc.’, an LED strobe light fitted under a tractor bonnet to deter birds from nesting in the engine.
The Agribusiness programme was created by St Paul’s, DairyNZ, Beef + Lamb New Zealand and 11 other Agricultural business partners to inspire secondary school students to consider a career in the primary sector.
The prize for the Young Inventor of the Year award is $1000 cash. For more information about the Fieldays Innovation Awards visit: www.fieldays.co.nz/enterinnovationcentre
2017 Fieldays Innovation Award winners:
• Fieldays Young Inventor of
the Year – St Paul’s Collegiate School,
• Vodafone Innovation Technology Award – MyApiary
• Locus Research Innovation Award – Hydratorg and BioFume
• Origin Innovation IP Award – Spectrum Innovations with the M6 13 Auto Sawmill
• Tompkins Wake IP and Commercialisation Award – MyApiary
• Callaghan Innovation Partnership & Collaboration Award – MyApiary
• Fieldays Grassroots Prototype Award – MyApiary for MyApiary Hive Monitor
• Fieldays Established Prototype Award – Taege Engineering with Power Discs
• Fieldays Innovation Launch NZ Highly Commended Award – StockX for Prime Stock Platform
• Fieldays Innovation Launch Award – Hydratorg with BioFume Ozone